Pros and cons of using a wound 'C' (3rd) for tenor please?

Pete F

Reaction score
Hi, I've been intrigued at using a wound third (C) on my all Koa tenor for some time. Eventually, I got around to fitting this today, and initial thoughts are it is quite fun: bolder sound, more guitar like and some fingerstyle pinching improvements. It seems less effective at producing a 'choppy' chunk and it's taking a bit of getting used to, but I am enjoying the change. What's everyone's thoughts and experiences of using the wound third please? I would be very interested to know - cheers!

Once I started using them I never went back to unwound. Finding the ones you like best is the journey.

Fitted TI’s wound C and would Low G to a Super Tenor paired with Worth trebles. I am thrilled!!! Soon to be trying the same string selection on a standard scale Tenor. That annoying boomy sound from the C string is gone. So much warmer and sure seems to promote better string separation.

I started out playing reentrant tenor and when I finally bought a good uke........ Pono Pro Classic and Andrew put a wound C string on it I never looked back. I have moved to mostly linear tuning but all my reentrant tenors in the past had a wound C string and I love them. Those that do play low G I always recommend they try a wound C string with the wound G string. It is very balanced and blends with the florocarbon E and A string really well.

You asked for pros and cons. I love the sound so that is the biggest pro there is. The cons are it can be a powerful sound you need to get use to, wound strings get dull sounding faster then florocarbons so you have to change them more often

Last edited:
in re-entrant, I like all FC,

But in linear, I very very much prefer wound gc.

That's interesting, as I use a wound G on one tenor, but never thought of adding a wound C to that one. The reentrant is the one I've just added the wound C to - certainly livened it up, and I like the squeak when fingerpicking with wound strings!

Top Bottom