NUD: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany I soprano

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I've seen lots about the high end aNueNue Bird ukes here lately, but I'm here to say that the lower end aNueNue ukes are also great. This is the Khaya Mahogany I model soprano. All solid, with a nice dark rosewood fretboard. Comes with high quality Grover geared tuners. Since I prefer friction tuners on sopranos, I installed a set of Grover 6B tuners I had here instead. The 6B's are the same ones that Martin uses on the S1 and other sopranos, and they work very well. They dropped right in, no mods.

I gotta say, this is the best new, sub-$200.00 soprano I've ever played. It has a wonderful, sweet tone, good volume, and the action is impeccable, all up the neck. I like the set of Martin M600's I installed better than the stock black strings. I think this is an older model, but there is a seller on Reverb offering these for $174.00 shipped (also taking lower offers), with a real nice deluxe gig bag. From what I could find, these were once offered at GC and elsewhere for over $300.00. I'd recommend it highly, if you are looking for a quality solid soprano, at a great price. I believe a few other UU'ers have also gotten these recently off Reverb.

Here's how it sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax9T7Tpf4jE

25.jpg
26.jpg
23.jpg
Tuners.jpg
7.JPG

Last edited:
Very lively sound. I like the mod to friction pegs. It looks much better on a soprano.

I enjoyed your video, and the ukulele sounds great, especially at that price point.

That's gorgeous! And sounds really fine.

Ed (EDW), I'm glad I bought your Famous. If I hadn't, I'd be lusting after one of these instead!

John, congrats! Very nice and what bargain!

I've seen lots about the high end aNueNue Bird ukes here lately, but I'm here to say that the lower end aNueNue ukes are also great. This is the Khaya Mahogany I model soprano. All solid, with a nice dark rosewood fretboard. Comes with high quality Grover geared tuners. Since I prefer friction tuners on sopranos, I installed a set of Grover 6B tuners I had here instead. The 6B's are the same ones that Martin uses on the S1 and other sopranos, and they work very well. They dropped right in, no mods.

I gotta say, this is the best new, sub-$200.00 soprano I've ever played. It has a wonderful, sweet tone, good volume, and the action is impeccable, all up the neck. I like the set of Martin M600's I installed better than the stock black strings. I think this is an older model, but there is a seller on Reverb offering these for $174.00 shipped (also taking lower offers), with a real nice deluxe gig bag. From what I could find, these were once offered at GC and elsewhere for over $300.00. I'd recommend it highly, if you are looking for a quality solid soprano, at a great price. I believe a few other UU'ers have also gotten these recently off Reverb.

Here's how it sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax9T7Tpf4jE

View attachment 113278
View attachment 113279
View attachment 113280
View attachment 113281
View attachment 113282

I just saw these on Reverb. Would you say that the neck is super slim? Also, how wide is the nut?

Curt, the neck is slim, but not quite as slim as, say, a Kiwaya in the KT(S or C) range. The nut is about average, the same width and string spread as the Loprinzi I just sold.

I love mine and thought the installed Blackline strings were nice--and I usually can't wait to change strings on a new uke. I wanted to have a soprano strung low G just for practice, and put wound string on it, that also sounded good.

It's light, the action is great, mine is loud and sweet, and the frets are thin and low. The main thing that separates it from a higher end hog soprano is the finish, which is fine, but not pore filled, which apparently I prefer (who knew?) but won't be an issue for everyone. Not that it's an issue for me. I'm delighted with mine and every time I pick it up I'm happy. It certainly put me in the aNueNue fan club.

Curt, the neck is slim, but not quite as slim as, say, a Kiwaya in the KT(S or C) range. The nut is about average, the same width and string spread as the Loprinzi I just sold.

I love mine and thought the installed Blackline strings were nice--and I usually can't wait to change strings on a new uke. I wanted to have a soprano strung low G just for practice, and put wound string on it, that also sounded good.

It's light, the action is great, mine is loud and sweet, and the frets are thin and low. The main thing that separates it from a higher end hog soprano is the finish, which is fine, but not pore filled, which apparently I prefer (who knew?) but won't be an issue for everyone. Not that it's an issue for me. I'm delighted with mine and every time I pick it up I'm happy. It certainly put me in the aNueNue fan club.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the info :)

Love the uke, it has a traditional sweet tone to it. Great play and singing!
I had the chance last year vacation to play some anuenue low-mid range ukes in Taiwan, the place where anuenue is based at. I tried the makani and thunder series, and they sounded amazing. Would have got at least 1 of them if not of my wife’s threatening stare when I reached for the wallet. Lol.

Top Bottom