Difference in mahogany and koa

RLM3121

Reaction score
I am looking at one of the Kiwaya soprano ukuleles. I am looking at solid wood. My question is about the sound difference between mahogany and koa. Is there a lot of difference? It is difficult to get definitive sound samples since there are no stores in my area. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks-Ray

Thanks for this! I think I’m a mahogany guy.

Mahogany is a safe bet, as is cedar, if you like a more mellow sound, whilst acacia, koa, & spruce are slightly brighter.

I have 3x mahogany, 2x acacia, & 1x spruce, all solid wood ukes, & I mainly prefer them in that order. :)

Last edited:
Talking of woods and strings, I am personally looking forward to stringing my mahogany long neck soprano with some brigther strings.

Trying different strings on my tasmanian blackwood (akacia) concert, I have taken a liking to Worth Browns, which mellows the akacia "jangle" and turns it into a rich warm tone. When I wanted to upgrade the Aquilas my Mahogany uke, I put those on that too, but I think it becomes too mellow. I bougth some Worth Clear to try on it, courious if that works better.

Anybody else prefer bright strings on mellow woods and vice versa?

I like Living Water concert strings on my ukes, mahogany, acacia, & my one spruce all have them, all in low G.

I have my Kala L/N soprano with some other flouros, possibly Worths, (took them off my Opio L/N concert), for the occasional strumming re entrant.

testing testing

I'm back! I was "Forbidden. Blacklisted" all day yesterday.

Yeah, me too. I wonder if UU got hacked? Any how, the two woods do sound different with different sizes of ukulele. For what it's worth I like the sound of mahogany sopranos and koa tenors. The jury is still out on concerts.

Last edited:
Mahogany smells nicer........but cedar is best:p

Top Bottom