Vintage Martin Tenor - String replacement

efiscella

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have basically been a Hawaiian Ukulele fan since I started playing about 7 years ago. I tried so many different ukes and settled on mostly KoAloha and Kamaka-- but mostly KoAloha. I love the sound and ease of play.

Last week at an ukulele meetup, I had a chance to try a vintage Martin T1 Tenor, low G- and it sounded fabulous. Different from the Hawaiian Ukes. So, I have been looking for one and luckily, found a beautiful 1940's Vintage Martin Tenor style 1. So, I got it but it is re-entrant and does not have the same sound I heard last week. The strings seem to be Aquila, but I am not sure. They are hard, thick, on the white color side, with pretty high tension.

So, I am wondering--- what is your advice on replacing the strings. As a Vintage Martin, should I just leave it alone, or can I make it better? Are some strings just to much in terms of tension for an instrument of this age.

The ukulele has no cracks and is in very good condition except for some checking.
Click image for larger version.

View attachment 113358

Any help and thoughts would be appreciated, along with any suggestions for a new Vintage Martin Owner

Attachments

• IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 18
I would suggest trying some fluorcarbons, which generally seem to be lower in tension than other types. In particular I would try some Living Waters low G (unless you don't want to mess with the nut slot) which (at least on my ukes) seem to be much lower in tension than even Worths.

Don't fret (ha!) too much about tension - flourocarbon strings for "tenor" will be fine on your Martin.
It may be "vintage" but it's well made, and with a pin bridge a lot of the tension is taken off the bridge and redirected under the soundboard.
I have one currently strung with Southcoast strings - no longer available, but Living Waters would work well.
They are beautiful sounding ukes.

Don't fret (ha!) too much about tension - flourocarbon strings for "tenor" will be fine on your Martin.
It may be "vintage" but it's well made, and with a pin bridge a lot of the tension is taken off the bridge and redirected under the soundboard.
I have one currently strung with Southcoast strings - no longer available, but Living Waters would work well.
They are beautiful sounding ukes.

Thanks for the comments. I did change the G to Low-G and a what world of difference for me. Like a totally different uke. I want to change the other strings out today. I am very lucky that, on hand, I have brand new Aquila, Martin 620, Worth, Living Waters, and Moore Bettah strings available to me.

Changing the strings was a snap (ha!). The pins are great. Truthfully, I wasn't loving it last night when strung re-entrant with the Aquila's. My KoAloha's were better in every aspect (to me), but once I changed that one G-string, what a world of difference. I think now it is a keeper, and a player for me.

Thanks for the insight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom