After 6 years -the course

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I've tried every which way to get a building course on line and have finally decided on this:
After years of deliberating about teaching ukulele building on line, debating pay per view and everything to do with it, I have decided, as part of my dissemination remit to the WCMT, to set up a Facebook page called Ukulele Building School and with my usual format give away all that I know, understand and have learned about ukulele making over the past 24 years. You will have to like the page to get the weekly lecture which will migrate from this group to that page but will be broadcast here simultaneously on a Friday as I have started doing.
The format will be my usual unscripted, unedited workshop style and it will be chronological so the first part will have my biography, credentials, design philosophy... all the stuff that is behind the making. I will show you how to make jigs and tools as and the they are needed. I'll try and get the first lecture out this Friday at 12.00am BST.

As you know I have strong views about YouTube and despite requests will not be using this as a platform to share my knowledge. I don't like that it is open to trolling, unhealthy criticism and unhelpful, negative commentary. On Facebook I can to some extent control the story of my life and continue with my unscripted and popular lectures, demos and ramblings.

Now, those long in the tooth here will know that this is almost a complete reversal of an earlier held view of mine. Well I hope that you will recognise that I am a grown-up and when I am persuaded of a better way, I will often take it, even if it means changing my viewpoint or mind.

So in a nutshell - all that I know will be your for free in a chronological, ordered sequence and baring an unusual event (family gathering in December), will go out every Friday.

WhenI have built the page I'll share the link. The first 5 or so lectures will be mostly theoretical stuff, tools and tool making. We won't be into the building side of things until January.

If you are going to respond to this post please keep it positive. Thesis a big reversal for me, a decision I have made so that the ukulele community can benefit from MY experience. It will be my way, not the way so if you disagree or don't like what I do, use your immortal right to chose not to comment or participate. There will be flaws, gaffs, more than occasional error....it will be classic Pete Howlett. However by this time next year you should have a complete understanding of how I do it and why I do it and why I am struggling to empty that order book!

I am absolutely thrilled to hear that you are willing to share your wealth of skills and knowledge Pete.
I have refrained from having a Facebook account until I read this announcement, I will be opening an account tomorrow.
Excited for what is to come,

Steve.

Pete,
Does this mean that you are retiring from your "hands on" and "in person" method of education? :(

Dave Mechanic

No David. Courses and teaching will be the principle activity if my business in future. I have 110 instruments left to build over the next 7 years.... I'd normally punch those out in two years.

Top Bottom