Prayers for Paradise

spongeuke

Reaction score
I hope the members of the vibrant ukulele group in Paradise, California and particularly their long time leader Tonya, are safe and well.
Their town was destroyed by a massive wild fire yesterday.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Tonya at various festivals here in Northern California. A true fan of our precious instrument.

I've heard through the ukevine that Tonya and her husband are safe and well. I understand they are travelling.

This fire is far from finished. Whipping winds are projected to kick up this evening and push things Southwest. I am just down the hill in Oroville. We have been working at the shelter here in town to support our friends from up the hill who have lost everything, but the news reports are suggesting the possibility that Oroville may be in harms way as well.

It sure would be nice to have some rain.

I hope that all in the area will get through it safely. There have been so many tragedies lately.

I have friends in that area that I’ve been worried about. I just saw a Facebook post from them with a scary picture of the fire close to their house. They are out of the fire & safe, but they fear that they may not have a house left. So scary & sad. Prayers for all those in that area.

Just saw an updated post from my friends. Sad to say, their home is gone. Heartbreaking.

Thank you, all, for your concern. Yes, I am safe, my husband is safe--and our kitty, Kona, was rescued and evacuated from the place before it burned down. Yes, we were/are out of town on a planned trip to the ukulele's birth islands--we heard about the fire while in a very secluded part of Hawai'i Island and thankfully had the support of Chuck Moore and his precious wife, Bonnie Sargeant. Having been through the lava disaster earlier this summer, they were understanding and supportive, knowing just what we were feeling--and stepping in to listen, hug, search out info on the web and provide a sounding board for ideas for our future.

We lost 90% of our "things," sadly including all my ukuleles but the one I had with me. I *had* two Moore Bettah ukuleles, now I have one, the one with me. Playing it makes me smile during a difficult time. But I guess I'll need to update my UU "signature" to reflect my new reality...sigh...

We have a small cabin "in the woods" about 25 minutes north of Paradise which we will return to live in full-time; it was just 1/10 of a mile from the flames so I'm thinking there may be some smoke issues. Our business burned down (Mark and I work together in marketing) and we're not certain Paradise is where we'll rebuild. I'm too young to retire (and couldn't afford it anyway!)

Our sons describe this as a "pivot point" for us and that's so true. I'm not sure what we'll be doing to make money...but I know that whatever that is, I'll certainly continue playing ukulele and sharing the joy that this instrument brings to us all.

I hope to see all of you around at some future ukulele event. And, I'll be blogging the whole thing on my website--this was not quite the island adventure I'd imagined this time...

Do you see a Moore Bettah Ukulele surviving in the bottom photo? Nope, neither do I. Officials don't plan on letting us in to poke through the ashes for a few weeks' still, but I'm thinking I'm not going to find any ukulele things. I had a huge collection of (not-all-digitized) Hawaiian and ukulele CDs as well as more than 95 ukulele learning and technique books and DVDs (many of them signed by performer/author); I loved to loan these out to ukulele learners, but they're all gone now, too...

Our office home.jpg

I am truly sorry. You are in amazing spirits considering your circumstances. I can’t begin to comprehend. I hope to run into you in the future. Until then, you and all of Paradise are in my family’s thoughts. Bless you. Good fortune. I wish only the best for you

The devastation is hard to comprehend, and I think we have a tendency to move on quickly if we weren't directly effected.
But, as Tonya's post makes painfully clear, the loss is way beyond a house and various things, but a home, a community, a job, and more. It's very life changing.

So glad that you were away from the area, and that your kitty was rescued. Living beings are the first priority.
But you did have a huge, huge loss, and I hope that you recover well, and have great things coming your way.

Very sorry to hear this Tonya, I don't know you but you and all the hundreds of people displaced by these terrible fires will be in our prayers. Keep your chin up!

My thoughts and prayers are with you all that have suffered in the devistation that has/is happening in California.
Comforting to hear you have terrific support from the Moore’s, support from friends and family is a beautiful thing.
I have been through a few very difficult, unfortunate happenings in life (going through one as we speak).
I take pride in your fantastic attitude and outlook in this tough time.
Keep up the great positive thinking,

Steve.

All the best to you, your husband and Kona. Starting over is very tough. I hope the road is smooth and without major detours.

I am truly sorry. You are in amazing spirits considering your circumstances. I can’t begin to comprehend. I hope to run into you in the future. Until then, you and all of Paradise are in my family’s thoughts. Bless you. Good fortune. I wish only the best for you

I was lucky enough to meet Tonya in Hawaii this past summer. Wonderful person. I agree with and repeat everything above 100%. Tonya, sorry for your loss. -Kevin

My thoughts and prayers are with you all that have suffered in the devistation that has/is happening in California.
Comforting to hear you have terrific support from the Moore’s, support from friends and family is a beautiful thing.
I have been through a few very difficult, unfortunate happenings in life (going through one as we speak).
I take pride in your fantastic attitude and outlook in this tough time.
Keep up the great positive thinking,

Steve.

Thoughts are with all those dealing with the CA fire, (and other disasters elsewhere, too), and also to you, Spicysteve, for the difficult time you're experiencing.
On Thanksgiving day, I can be thankful that all is well here.

Top Bottom