PDA

View Full Version : Tenor fan bracing questions

Paul Bouchard
11-11-2018, 06:15 AM
Iím starting my second uke and it's going to be a koa tenor. Iím using the Georgia Luthier Supply plans and their accompanying book. Unfortunately the book focuses on an x-Braced guitar at this stage of construction.

So the question: the fan braces go over the bridge plate, right? Should they be glued to it or do I leave an air gap?

Also, I've seen a few construction photos on the web that seem to show the side fans running from the upper transverse brace and apparently through the lower one...are these braces going under the transverse brace or are they separate pieces and just happen to be aligned to look like a long single piece.

Thanks,
Paul

Lonetree ukuleles
11-11-2018, 06:55 AM
You should notch the brace over the plate with no gap. I know some builders notch the plate but that defeats the purpose of the plate. Over the years of building I have developed a bracing pattern that seems to work for my building style. I always encourage new builders to experiment, try new things. There are no rules to building an instrument, as long as it holds the string tension you are good. I have built over 100 ukes and it took me this long to find my voice. Best of luck and have fun ��
Steve

Pete Howlett
11-11-2018, 07:25 AM
Look at Taylor's V brace.... very interesting concept.

sequoia
11-11-2018, 10:38 AM
I notch and attach the central fan brace to the plate. The side fans are likewise notched on the sides and glued to the plate. Some pictures of a standard 3 fan bracing scheme I use with soundhole reinforcement.

113408 113409 113410

Pete Howlett
11-11-2018, 12:39 PM
I'll be doing a Facebook broadcast this week on bracing. I link it into this discussion. I'm pretty much excited by the developments at Taylor guitars. I usually separate guitar and ukulele technologies but their new system makes so much sense and I am going to attempt an interpretation of it on a build this week...

printer2
11-12-2018, 03:47 AM
Pepe Romero Jr has been doing reverse fan bracing on his guitars and ukuleles for years.

https://i.imgur.com/MzO93Ni.jpg

sequoia
11-12-2018, 07:04 AM
Pepe Romero Jr has been doing reverse fan bracing on his guitars and ukuleles for years.

https://i.imgur.com/MzO93Ni.jpg

Now that is interesting. No bridge plate either. However, I'm guessing this a soprano sized uke. This scheme might not work so well on a tenor with its higher tension. Bridge rotation, etc. etc.

Paul Bouchard
11-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the clarification....though now I'd like to try that "V" brace. It looks very elegant but the luthier from Taylor could have been a bit more straightforward on the explanation as to how it supposedly corrected intonation problems...but the demos seem convincing.