What was you best ukulele score and the ukulele you will probally never sell?

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Post pictures of your holy grail and why you think so please ☺☺☺

Last edited:
I think the "best score" was probably in the favor of the people doing the selling. :D

I'm going to be putting half a dozen up for sale, but there are some I would never sell.
Koaloha Scepter and Pineapple Sunday
Kamaka 100th anniv tenor
Dewdrop
Mya-Moe resonator tenor
Firefly
Bonanza Oreo
Gold Tone banjo uke
Ohana Vita Uke
Martin soprano (1944)

I guess my 'holy grail' uke was when I found the tenor scaled concert bodied size, I bought my Ohana, realised that this was what I had been looking for, so bought my most expensive, my KoAloha Opio acacia long neck concert - these two have become my favourites, & my UAS has stopped. :)

My best score has to be my Laughlin 3K with the bow tie and kite. Tim only produced two of them and it is like having a 1920 Martin 3K without the issues of a vintage instrument. I will post some pictures later.l1.jpgl2.jpgl3.jpgl4.jpgl5.jpg

Last edited:
LFDMoutside.jpgLDFMoutsideback.jpgLDFMtop.jpgLDFMinlay.jpgLFDMrosebevel.jpg
New to me-- I can't imagine selling her!
Thanks Dan Uke!!!

Last edited:
Easy, peasy, lemon-squeezy. My Hive Hornet with Lucky 12 spruce top and one-piece back of tortoise shell quilt from The Tree:

I was very lucky with getting this. Back to work after more than 3-years of underemployment, I decided to treat myself to a special uke. Rather than take a risk on a luthier I didn't know, I chose Jake Maclay as I already had a Hive and knew his work was matched by few. I wanted a special, figured wood. After considering several, I decided on The Tree. The piece I really wanted was already taken, so I selected another. I did say that if anything happened and that other set became available, to please, please, please let me know. Lo and behold! A month or so later Jake let me know that the original set I coveted was available after all. Did I still want it? Are you freakin' kiddin' me? You betcha!

I asked Jake to pick a special top to match and he suggested Lucky 12 spruce. Lucky 12 is from a sinker sitka log. My understanding is that a well-regarded guitar luthier was so enamored with it he gave 12 tops to other highly regarded luthiers and had them each build with it. Hence, the name Lucky 12 spruce.

I couldn't be happier with this uke. Tone. Playability. Aesthetics. Flawless build execution. I am spoiled as I have quite a few really amazing ukes that check most if not all of these boxes, but this is the one that always takes my breath away.

Last edited:
Eddie I was waiting and waiting when will you show up here. :D
It’s a beautiful uke!
MM Stan is selfish but we love him just the same.:D

Wow, holy grail is a lofty description. I can say that at this point I don't have any intention of selling any of my eight. I'm very attached to a custom made by Bruce Wei about four years ago, a gypsy jazz Django Reinhardt "Grande Bouche" style that always intrigued me when I played guitar. (I originally contacted LfdM, but it took him four months to return my email, and he also doesn't make it with a tailpiece)

In the first year I played uke, I went through 16, but when I bought the Kala cedar/acacia koa that's been touted often and became my go to gig uke, I culled down my collection to four. Since then I've added four; two more customs from Bruce Wei, one of his ready made and a Lanikai Thinline that has me very impressed.

But again, the gypsy jazz has a big hold on me.

Gypsy me.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Easy, peasy, lemon-squeezy. My Hive Hornet with Lucky 12 spruce top and one-piece back of tortoise shell quilt from The Tree:

I was very lucky with getting this. Back to work after more than 3-years of underemployment, I decided to treat myself to a special uke. Rather than take a risk on a luthier I didn't know, I chose Jake Maclay as I already had a Hive and knew his work was matched by few. I wanted a special, figured wood. After considering several, I decided on The Tree. The piece I really wanted was already taken, so I selected another. I did say that if anything happened and that other set became available, to please, please, please let me know. Lo and behold! A month or so later Jake let me know that the original set I coveted was available after all. Did I still want it? Are you freakin' kiddin' me? You betcha!

I asked Jake to pick a special top to match and he suggested Lucky 12 spruce. Lucky 12 is from a sinker sitka log. My understanding is that a well-regarded guitar luthier was so enamored with it he gave 12 tops to other highly regarded luthiers and had them each build with it. Hence, the name Lucky 12 spruce.

I couldn't be happier with this uke. Tone. Playability. Aesthetics. Flawless build execution. I am spoiled as I have quite a few really amazing ukes that check most if not all of these boxes, but this is the one that always takes my breath away.

Bruddah Eddie!

DAMN!!! YOwza .. YOWza ... YYYOOOOWWWWZZZZAAAAA!!! That is ONE HECK of a GORGEOUS uke if I've ever seen one!!!:drool: I've got 1st dibs on it ... if you ever decide to re-home her.:rolleyes: You are one LUCKY buggah you!!!

SHEESH!!! You don't need that other uke (you know which one I'm talking about) ... or any other uke for that matter, with that SPECTACULAR custom Hive tenor!

On a side note: Do you have a side gig as a professional photographer??? I LOVE those pics, especially the pic of your AMAZING uke on the old wooden bench!!! Take one with the soundboard facing the camera in that same position on the old wooden bench, too! I'd love to see that one!

Aloha,

Kimo:shaka:

Mine isn't really a score, but my KPK concert was the first ukulele I loved. I learned on a Luna, so I have that connection with it, but I feel like I would never sell my KPK just for sentimental reasons.

Definitely my very early Gibson tenor, circa 1927. I spent 13 years drooling over various amazing modern ukes - collected a swag of them, but the siren song of vintage called. Partly because of my work with older people, but also because of my love of songs from the 20's to 50's. I narrowed my wish list down to one: a Gibson sunburst tenor. One day I was "casually" perusing at Flea Market (ie: not seriously intending to buy anything) and one took my breath away. I couldn't afford it, but kept coming back to drool.
I spontaneously decided to send a message to the seller registering my interest - in case I won the lottery. He liked my story and responded with an incredibly generous offer. It was like a fairy tale.
The best part is how wonderful it sounds, and how it enhances my playing - especially on old blues songs.
Does anyone play that mind game where they imagine they could only keep one of their ukes? Well I can finally say it would be this one!

Gibby tenor.jpg

Well, the answer to both is probably my Martin concert. Came across it in a music store on consignment for $500. So a good price and a great sounding uke. I doubt I'll ever get rid of it.

3EA062DF-C588-4A57-918A-FFCBE2334B17.jpg
0E0DC5D4-AAB8-4CB7-8C51-F8DA57E919EE.jpg

The absolute best deal however, was on some Bushman Jenny sopranos I found at my local guitar center. Brand new, but marked as used for $50 a piece. I left with 3 of them :D

5B26A223-7710-427A-A32F-B714DCB88978.jpg
2AF81C7A-1E1A-41DD-9A2E-5D48AE579026.jpg

Top Bottom