What is the hot string these days?

Rob Uker

Reaction score
I used to use the original Aquila strings for a long time. Recently I’ve been using Aquila Lava strings. I do like them better than the original Aquilas.
I want to try something new.
I’m a finger picker and I’m looking for a string that will boost volume.
I’ve also liked Worth brown strings in the past.
What is new and HOT these days?

I wish there were an app or something to match strings to a particular instrument. I think each instrument is a little different in how it responds.

In the last two weeks, I had PhD strings on a G String Concert. The PhD strings were a little quiet, so I wanted to try to put on strings to brighten up the instrument. I tried Aquila New Nylgut (it's brighter and louder, but the sustain wasn't that great and the overall tone was that great to my ear). I then put on Aquila Sugars - wow - those were great for strumming. For finger picking, they initially had a weird squeak (probably because they are new), but that seems to have gone away. I really like those sugars on that Concert.

I also took off Worth Browns on a KoAloha Tenor, and put on PhD strings on those and that also was a significant positive difference. I did that because I read on here somewhere that PhDs were designed with KoAloha in mind, so I figured maybe they were matched well together.

Finally, while in the store, I heard a Pepe Romero Replica and boy was it loud and a great tone. I ordered some Pepe Romero Strings and threw those on a Pono Tenor. It made it a lot louder and the gold wound G string had an interesting almost guitar like tone to it which I liked. It did seem to raise the action over the Worth Clears that were on it before, so that may have something to do with the loudness.

I'm tempted to take the strings off my Kamaka and throw the original black Kamaka strings back on them.

So in sum, for your all wood (koa) concerts, that the build quality is a little heavier, I might try the Sugars - they were great.
For your tenor KoAlohas - I do like the PhDs. Good stuff.
For your Ponos which are heavier, but perhaps built more with guitar influences, those Pepe Romero Strings were awesome.

Hope this helps,
Rich

Fishing line - all I ever use.

I like Living Water on a lot of my ukes, also as suggested above Worth Browns and Fremont blacklines. Martins on my old Martin.

Oasis Flurocarbon Warm with wound low G
Living Water about the same, doesn't come with wound low G
Ron

Martin fluoro is all I use now.

I've tried over a dozen others, and most fell short for me on tone or sustain.

Tenor: T-Infeld CF30 or Fremont Soloist LowG, T-Infeld CF27 and Salvarez Alliance 542R, 541R Trebles.

Baritone T-I CF35,CF30 Salvarez 543R,542R

I think on the forums living waters...

I have living waters on my tenor, and just switched out to aquila reds on my concert.

The aquila reds I regret.........it's so loud which i wanted but got more than i bargained for. I wish I would of kept the Martin strings on :)

Top Bottom