Stick On Pickups

Tsani

Reaction score
How does the use of stick on pick ups affect the finish of an ukulele? I would like to be able to amplify my uke, but I do not want to do anything that will harm the finish on my instrument. What kind of adhesive do they use?

I'm currently using a Dean Markley stick-on pick-up that a friend gave me and it has some kind of putty on it. It's very easy to come off and there's no damage to the finish of my uke. I also have like a big rubber band to help hold it in place. I'll be getting another uke though with a pick-up already built in. Less hassle.

Yeah, I'm making one of these to use on my flea, but the main thing that's stopping me is how to attach it...

If you're scared of damaging your finish perhaps you could try to stick it on the inside and run the cable out of the soundhole.
You'll probably need to do some cable management to keep it from touching the strings (depends on your action height and the cable gauge) but a quick test on my uke shows this could work.
They are also selling the exact same pickups for the inside so for the pickup it shouldn't make any difference.

The Dean Markley's have a sticky goo that you can't get off without using goo gone. I have a Dimarzio it cost $16 more and has a lighter cable (better) and uses a clay like sticky stuf that comes off with water. The only trouble I've had with either is that I'll scotch tape the cable to the uke. I've had the tape take off a thin layer of finish on glossy finished uke. Never had a poblem with the pickups. Get yourself a 7 band EQ pedal, ($29 - $99) to fine tune the pickup, makes a big difference.

Top Bottom