Praise for Worth Strings

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been using Worth fluorocarbon strings on my ukuleles for several years. The first thing I did to my Kamaka tenor was remove the original black strings and put on Worth Clears. The low strings are not wound so I don't get the squeekies and they don't wear out fast.
I tried several brands on a cheap baritone ($70 special) and found Worth Browns gave it a full sound. I later put the same strings on a Kamaka baritone and got the same results, only better.

I just bought a white label Kamaka 8 string tenor that came with strings that I though were GHS. It sounded like a tin toy. The Worth Clear set I added last night makes it sound like a harp.

I've been playing Worth strings for 11+ years. Good stuff (for fishing line :p).

It may be fishing line, but they have to correct thicknesses. I like that they are double length so that I can get two stringings out of each set.

Worth makes great strings and make quite a variety so most folks can likely find something that works for them

Unfortunately the history and story that was on the Worths site has been watered down over the years, probably because string buyers have a problem with fishing line. I always thought it was very interesting and a good example of adapting technology, but it is amazing how many people have no idea about fishing line or how much it costs or how complex it can be to buy the right materials. It is not just stuff coming out of machine and rolled onto a spool.
It is possible that Worths sell enough product now to justify their own production runs of fluorocarbon filaments. So while in the beginning they might have just used fishing line, now they may actually be getting filament that is tailored to being used on ukuleles?

I've wondered when/if this switch would occur. Still seems like they have a fairly small share of the market, all things considered.

Maybe they are more available in Asia, but it's kind of a shame how hard it is to get some of the more specialty sets in the US market, last I checked. I imagine that's one of the reasons some of the other fluorocarbon brands were able to get a foothold in the shadow of such an established company.

I'm using Worth Browns on my Cocobolo now, and I can't imagine using anything else. I talked a friend into putting them on her Mainland concert that sounded way too brash and it calmed it way down for her.

So far Worth Browns are the best fluorocarbon strings I have tried on many of my ukes. But then again, I only tried Fremont Blacklines and Worth Browns on those.

If you use both the Browns and the Clears, which do you use for what kind of uke?

I have had Browns on both a Mahogany and an Akacia ukulele, concert scale. I am going to try Clears on the Mahogany, as mellow on mellow sounds a bit dull. But perhaps i doesnt work that way.

I've got some aging worth browns on my soprano, , , abnd I'm thinking of using the clears. . .I want to get a brighter sound. Is this a good direction? Or should I try Oasis?

Yes, that may give you a little more highs or "sparkle" in the sound. It is worth a try (pun intended)

Worth browns on my Moku soprano and National Resonator, Clears on the Sceptre, Vita Ukes, and Donaldson. Worth Low-G Clear on the Ohana 65D.

Aquilas or whatever came on them with most of the rest - including the Timms.

I've got another uke on the way, and it will have whatever Mim says sounds best.

-Kurt​

My go to strings are Worth--both clears and browns are wonderful. Oasis brights, I also like.

I've been using Worth fluorocarbon strings on my ukuleles for several years. The first thing I did to my Kamaka tenor was remove the original black strings and put on Worth Clears. The low strings are not wound so I don't get the squeekies and they don't wear out fast.
I tried several brands on a cheap baritone ($70 special) and found Worth Browns gave it a full sound. I later put the same strings on a Kamaka baritone and got the same results, only better.

I just bought a white label Kamaka 8 string tenor that came with strings that I though were GHS. It sounded like a tin toy. The Worth Clear set I added last night makes it sound like a harp.

So are you saying that these strings are praiseworthy?

Top Bottom