I'm kinda embarrassed, but...

Uncle Rod Higuchi

Reaction score
OK, I just received the Padauk Soprano I ordered a while back, but last
night local luthier (Seattle area, actually Lynnwood, WA) brought, get this,
a short neck, concert body, 5 string uke (only 21" so Soprano length)
made of 1880's mahogany - that's right 1880's mahogany!

well, Kerry is a very kind and generous guy, so not only did he let me
play it all night during our weekly STRUM song circle, but - even though
he did not want to part with it, he is selling it to me after placing a couple
of strum guards (my fingernails scratch the upper bouts), and delivering
it to me during my Thurs night Ukulele Class, if not tonight, then next
week!

I already purchased a low G Concert made out of the same 1880
Mahogany batch (old piece of furniture) and it sounds great to me.
I'll have to learn how to attach sound samples so you all can enjoy
the sound as well :)

just had to share with you all!

keep uke'in',

PS the 5-string has a 'C' tuning key set in friction format between
the other 4 geared tuners. This gives the 'head' a nice 'stand' :)
hopefully, pictures will be coming... not sure when :(

That was awfully nice of him. You should buy Kerry his drink of choice.

Don't be embarrassed. He appreciates you and is willing to sell the uke, and put a strum guard on it. You like his work and want to buy one of his instruments. Happiness for all.

absolutely great story, Uncle Rod. Here's mine.

About 1989, my father takes my brother on me in a bread truck late one night in drizzly weather to pick up a large piece of furniture. We were the lifters. It wasn't his bread truck; the thing wobbled and wavered all over the road.

So we pull into a small, small town. . .population 300. And go to the house of an old, old man in his 90s. Retired Lutheran minister of good German stock. My father and he talk, and the topic of violins turns up.

It seems the old fellow. Very old fellow, is a violin maker.

He goes out, brings in a violin he's been carving on for someone. . . and then says the wood for it came from tree downed in a local park in 1936! And that he'd been saving boards of it in the garage.

OK, folks, took delivery of my new short-neck, soprano-scale, concert-body, 5-string
made by local luthier, Kerry Bannister (Lynnwood, WA).

I was blown away when Kerry mentioned that it was FREE! Yup! some anonymous
friends bought it for me without telling me or revealing themselves. They know who
they are... the guilty ones! :)

Kerry added a very nice hard case that fits the uke perfectly... except for the additonal
headroom, because it is a short-neck model. But I need that extra space for my bag
of Rubber Duckies! :)

I know, I know... pictures otherwise it's not real.

OK, but i don't know when I'll be able to take, or more importantly, post them. I need
help!

keep uke'in',

I concur! :)

I think ALL Ukulele Groups are made up of Terrific individuals...
and if not, they will probably leave of their own volition.

Meanwhile, Enjoy the Holiday Season with Love and Ukulele!

keep uke'in',

UPDATE: Kerry Bannister is not one to sit around and do nothing. Since having received my gifted short-neck 5-string soprano, Kerry has finished a full-size 5-string concert which he brought on Wed Nov 28th. I have been playing both
and Kerry offered to let me choose between them.

I am leaning toward the full-size concert for ease of playing and a very pleasant sound, and a bit louder voice.
Also, the Concert is a double-puka ( a circular sound hole on each side of the upper bout ). Even though my strumming
finger sometimes snags in one of the sound holes, especially when I'm playing for volume, I really enjoy the mellowness
of its voice over that of the soprano.

so I will be returning the short-neck 5-string soprano tonight and keeping/playing the 5-string concert instead.

just thought I should come clean and share this info with you all :)

keep uke'in',

PS any ukers in Seattle/Shoreline, WA, STRUM will be performing at Sky Nursery between 2-3p Sat Dec 1st.
Immediately after the performance we will be going across the street (Aurora Ave N) to have a party at Spiro's on 185th. If you're in the area please come and join us from 1:30-5p. The performance will be from 2-3p and we will have printed music for you. Dress in red and green, etc, and join us for a good time... and Pizza :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom