Best Uke for under $150?

UkeDoxie

Reaction score
Hello knowledgeable ukulelers!

My sister came to visit me for the long weekend, and it just so happened that it was also the monthly uke group weekend. So I took her with me, and now she is hooked. I would like to get her a ukulele for Christmas and would love some suggestions. I think she would like a soprano or a concert, as the tenor she tried was too big.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with getting a uke from Mim. First, make a decision as to what size your sister would like and then either check Mim's site or just give her a call and see what she has. I started out with an Ohana CK-10S from her, and I love that little uke. It wasn't very expensive, but it's well setup and it's a joy to play. I just looked and she's got an SK-10 package going right now with a tuner, bag, and a strap for $79. That's a soprano mahogany laminate. You can't go wrong with that as a starter uke, and if she doesn't stick with it, you haven't invested much. (How exciting to help someone else start their uke journey!)

(And you couldn't go wrong with the deal that Kyle23 posted as well.)

Last edited:
I picked up a new aNueNue Khaya soprano off Reberb for a bit over $150. These were close to $300 and come with a very nice gig bag. Really hard to beat.

I swear by the Ohana SK35G solid mahogany soprano. Even when I have significantly more expensive in the house, I consider it the one I’d keep if I fell on hard times.

If you can get another family member to kick in, you can’t go wrong with a Flea for a first Uke!

Scooter

Reverb has Cordoba 24 series blems for that kind of money. I've got a 24T tenor that I love enough that I'll likely pull the trigger on a blem 24C sometime soon. $139? Heck yeah! They have solid cedar tops over laminated spalted maple bodies trimmed in paduak... gorgeous, light as a feather, great setup right out of the box ...and they sound great.

Last edited:
I picked up a new aNueNue Khaya soprano off Reberb for a bit over $150. These were close to $300 and come with a very nice gig bag. Really hard to beat.
I'll second this. I got it for $150, shipped. It arrives set up perfectly. It's worth at least the list price of $300. It's good looking, easy to play, and sounds great. It could easily be the only soprano she ever needs or wants. The gig bag is also exceptionally nice.

I'll second this. I got it for $150, shipped. It arrives set up perfectly. It's worth at least the list price of $300. It's good looking, easy to play, and sounds great. It could easily be the only soprano she ever needs or wants. The gig bag is also exceptionally nice.

That's a nice looking set up!

I've got an Islander Concert w/EQ listed on the marketplace. I'd take $150+shippng.

I was going to suggest Islander, If I could only keep one uke valued at under $150, I keep my Islander and be very happy!

PS, that's a very good deal!

Another Islander fan here. I love my AS-4: Acacia laminate soprano. This soprano is a bit bigger than most. I love sopranos and concerts, and love the slightly bigger size of this particular soprano. It also has a wider nut that many ukes (1 and 1/2 vs. 1 and 3/8 inch.) I found that extra width was extraordinarily helpful when I was just learning to play. And I love the sound! (I did not like my Islander laminated mahogany uke at all, which surprised me.)

I got mine from Uke Republic, which also does great set-ups. This is my "beginner uke" that I'll never let go of.

Good luck!

I have been debating whether to answer this question or not. I have some really good recommendations around the $300 and $600 price points, but when it comes to $150, the price point is kind of weird.

Here are a couple of suggestions under the $150 price point.

1) Makala Dolphin, Concert or Soprano. ABS back, Wood Top. Order one from a dealer that will include set-up (Mim, Uke Republic).
2) Enya X1 series ukuleles on Amazon. EUC-X1 Concert, EUS-X1 Soprano. The HPL material is pretty cool, and the set-up has been great.
3) I know this brand has been a pain for a couple of people because of their marketing effort, but I have been very pleased with the instruments...the Aklot Concert AKC23 Kit on Amazon. The ones I have received and ordered have come set up to my satisfaction.
4) The Kala KA-SLNG Long-Neck Soprano (again, order from a dealer that offers set-up).
5) The Outdoor Ukulele Soprano (no concert)...take it anywhere, go anywhere.
6) The Flight TUS35 or TUS50 Travel Soprano from Amazon. I've been pretty pleased by this model, too, although the new gig bags are horrible.

I am sure others would recommend other brands...but these are all pretty safe bets for me.

The Ohanas I would recommend would be above the $150 mark, Mainland Ukuleles are awesome but above that price, and Ponos and KoAloha Opios are above that price.

Top Bottom