Is this ukulele approriate?

Yup. Popular model with plenty of supporters.

Have fun. :D

will i have to toon this in low or high g and if so is it ez to do? what usually comes standard?

nice ukulele...

will i have to toon this in low or high g and if so is it ez to do? what usually comes standard?

low or high G is just a variation of the G string that comes with whichever set of strings you choose. so if you choose to use a set of strings with a high G then you won't be able to tune it to a low G. it's just personal preference. enjoy!

Last edited:
Hi Ethan,

Welcome to UU. My cousin has a tenor lanikai that looks similar to that. His was strung with a low g, wound string when they send it to him. I think he ordered it through http://www.ukes.com/.

You can also restring it with a high g. It's all part of the fun in deciding what appeals to you. The "standard" or often more popular way of stringing an uke would be with a high g, or re-entrant tuning. Just give a listen. If you are concerned about how it sounds with different songs, do a search in the forums for high g and low g and you will get a ton of info on what is discussed already. One of the things I picked up from the threads is that if the song you are trying to play was originally written and performed on a guitar, then you should be able to play it on the uke too with a low g. hope this helps! Good luck!

looks like they have good prices on ukes

Standerd is a soprano..
and if you want a lower sound you should go with tenor

Standard (or soprano) and tenor are tuned the same. The tenor is not "lower" than the soprano. You will hear differences in tone, volume and sustain, but not in pitch.

As already mentioned, the low-G tuning is a personal preference, and requires a different G string.

if you're serious about learning the ukulele, buy a really nice one. But you must consider how much you pay.

The more you pay, the nicer the ukulele. you can probably buy a toy soprano for under 100 dollars. But you can also buy a really nice soprano for $300+.

My first uke was like... $35. My second was $100. My third $900.

Money is a factor, figure out your price limit, and you can better determine your first uke choice.

------------------------------------------------------

totally missed the point of this thread. Yes, that uke is a wonderful uke. I would have loved that as my first ukulele.

Last edited:
Re-entrant tuning

Part of what makes the ukulele, what gives it unique sound, is the re-entrant tuning it uses (high g) you should start out with that, and then later if you want to, try it with the low G tuning.

Both are really nice, and eventually you will find it worth your while to have more than one instrument so that you can use both tuning styles, but to start off with (in my opinion) use the standard tuning.

Top Bottom