Martin Style 2 period correct tuners?

cogfasser

Reaction score
Anyone know which tuners are correct for a 1932-33 Style 2 soprano? Would the be the Kluson type?

You mean as opposed to tuning pegs? Yes, I believe so, I have a 33 or 34 style 0 and it has friction tuners.
tuners.jpg headstock.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I do think that the Style 2 has friction, but wondering if they were Waverly's or Kluson. I am considering swapping originals or replicas of the period.

Yes, those are the ones I am looking for that you have pictured. Are those Waverlys? The hex nuts were used on those from the early 30's?

Don't know what brand they are, haven't seen any markings. I might sell them, I have some Gotohs to put on it, it's not a collectible, but a fun player and gotohs would make it easier and more fun to play.

According to Walsh & King's The Martin Ukulele, the Style 2 used Grover Simplex tuners with white buttons starting in 1927. During WWII wooden pegs were used and then replaced by Kluson keystone tuners in 1946.
Mike

Future owners will consult the Walsh & King book. If you want it as a collector piece use the Grover no 94 Simplex. If as a great playing and somewhat eye candy soprano, use a quality new friction or Gotohs, for heaven sake don't put ear on it.

Thanks everyone. I believe I'll replace them with the Grover Sta-Tite pegs from Stewmac. They look quite close to the Simplex 92's. I'll post images of the acquired 1934 Martin soon for NUD.

Top Bottom