Looking for wound D&G strings for 21.88" scale

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Looking for strings on the upcoming Jumbo Baritone that should be done next week.

21.88"scale. I have a set of Southcoast LHL-wb Dirk thought would work with it. But will need replacements once these wear out. Any suggestions?

Patrick I have great success with Thomastik CF35 and CF30 on my LfdM 22-1/4" and regular baritones of approx. 20-1/2". They should also work well right in the middle like your 21.88"

Found out he made the scale length 22.88" for better sound and intonation. Am taking down the CF 35, CF30 with Savarez alliance 542 R and 543R for trebles.
Also had a set of Southcoast LHL-WB's and HL-WB's so will be taking them down with me. I trust one of these sets should work. Would prefer the T-I's as we can't get SouthCoast anymore.

I should be able to pick it up just before practice Weds.. Am excited and nervous at the sametime. Sure hope it sounds like I envisioned it would.

I just put T-I basses and the high-tension (blue pack) Savarez strings on my Pono bari. Sounds great. Southcoast were my favorite before, but these top even that.

Trebles are the tone maker for me......going for warmer or brighter. I have used everything from Hannabach and Diamete nylon classical guitar strings for a warm sound . Oasis, Pyramid or Savarez florocarbon for a brighter tone. I think the Saverez you have picked will work well. Sorry I didn't reply to your PM, busy weekend with a death in the family.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Dave. Thanks for your input.

Thanks Brad, will take a look at the Blue pack Savarez as well. I surely miss Dirk and his input.

This is what I put on baris:

4th - Fremont Soloist (0.030" smooth-wound) D
3rd - Thomas Inkfield CF27 (0.027" flat-wound) G
2nd - Worth Brown Baritone BB (0.0291" plain fluoro) B
1st - Worth Brown Baritone BB (0.0244" plain fluoro) E

Though you can substitute Thomas Inkfield CF30 for the D string. Only set I've come up with that actually delivers on minimizing string squeak.

Jon, the .030 and .027 are what I put on a tenor. How long is the scale on your baris?

I put on a set of HL-WB Southcoast and feel there doesn't seem to be the sustain I was looking for. I'm surprised as they were my go to for baritones. The scale on them were shorter then this one. 20" vs 22'88". Could it be they put too much tension on the 22.88 inch scale? I just picked it up today so have no idea how it should sound.

I do have a set of the Southcoast lhl-WB and ordered a set of D'Addario EJ48 Pro-Arte 80/20 Bronze Classical Guitar Strings - Hard Tension to try out later.

Jon, the .030 and .027 are what I put on a tenor. How long is the scale on your baris?

I have used this setup successfully on both 19" and 20.5" baris. So maybe the CF35 and CF30 will perform better on your 21.88" bari, but I'd say try both and see what you like. I know I just prefer the Thomas Inkfield CF wounds because of the lack of string squeak. I can ignore string squeak on guitars because it gets covered up by the instrument's volume, but on (un-amped) ukes I find any squeak to be overpowering.

Top Bottom