Ukulele Guild of Hawaii 2018

geetee

Reaction score
Here's a video I shot of the annual Ukulele Guild of Hawaii show, at the Bishop Museum for the first time this year. Fellow UU'er Patchenu shows up in here. Today, Sunday Nov. 19 is the last day of the exhibit.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! I went through it quickly, but will be watching it more closely soon.
This could stir up UAS for many of us. And it certainly has me longing for nicer weather than we're having in my part of the world.

Thanks Greg..very nice video,as good as being there in person...

Very interesting. I'm surprised by the small number of exhibitors. I expected more. Other than Grimes that you mentioned, what were the names of some of the other exhibitors?

Thanks so much for giving us the opportunity to see the exhibition. Next best thing to being there…

Eh, GeeTee, next time gotta get together with mmStan and go visit da guys stay Haleiwa!
OOPs, sorry, been watching Andy Bumatai's Daily Pidgin :)

Any-whoo, Thanks for sharing the video with all of us!
I wish I could have gone, but airfare was really just too much, and I was needed at work
these past few days!

So good to 'hear' from you, Brah! :)

keep uke'in,

Give my Aloha to all who know me, etc!
Eh, Len, good to 'hear' from you too!

Thanks, Rod. Good to 'see' you.

Very interesting. I'm surprised by the small number of exhibitors. I expected more. Other than Grimes that you mentioned, what were the names of some of the other exhibitors?

I got there towards the end of the day so my cursory walk through was about it for me. It surprised me to not see any of the K-brands represented, at least, if they were there I wasn't aware of it. This is total speculation on my part but I think, possibly due to the Bishop Museum being the venue, there may have been a deliberate attempt to scale back from the last few years shows and focus more on individual and local hobby builders.

At the beginning, Bryan Tolentino is playing an Eric DeVine tenor and you can see Eric chatting with Rollo Scheurenbrand to his left. Then you see Shawn Yacavone (of the Ukulele Friend store) showing a vintage 1800s instrument to Keith Maile, a local Oahu builder. The ukes with the internal, sympathetic strings and the one with the whammy bar are by Japanese builder Omori Tadahisi (Ukulele University). To his immediate left, throwing shakas is Manny Halican (Pahu Kaui) past president of the guild. Playing on the stage was Aaron Crowell who was chatting with Todd Ragsdale, a builder from Moloka'i. Steve Grimes was nice enough to chat with me. Sorry the back row got really short shrift but Dave Sigman (Little River Ukuleles) was there and, I think, Mike Chock (founder of the UGH). The woman singing and playing the foot-sound-hole uke, which she built, is Lynette Huff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom