Tiny Tenor

Tomthebaptist

Reaction score
I just have three things to say about my mahogany Tiny Tenor. In spite of all the hype from Daniel, they sound about average, not bad and not that great, just ok. Daniel Ho can make anything sound great. 2. They are comfortable and the neck is great. 3. They are a pain in A** to change out the strings. No matter how big or how tight I tie the knot on the A string, the bridge will not hold it. It comes flying out.

Frustrated

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you're not happy. I don't own a Tiny Tenor myself, but I have experienced that problem with other ukuleles and some string sets. Try melting a small blob on the end of the string before you tie the knot. (i.e.; heat the end of the string to make a bulb on the end). That should keep it from coming untied.

Hi Tom, I think Campbell is right, assuming we're talking about a "string-thru-the-body" style of bridge, you'll want to use a bead at the end of each string, and I think you'll be golden. I could be wrong, but I think that's probably the most common practice with this type of bridge, and the beads will put you in worry-free territory!
I have a ton of them in my "goody jar", and I'd be glad to send you some; just let me know via "PM"!
P.S. Once this string issue is solved, I'm betting that little guy will start sounding better and better to you! :)

Last edited:
What's a tiny tenor?

Isn't that a long neck concert? That is what was confusing me, or is a case of tomato tomahto.

Hahahaha! Good point! Kinda reminds me of when Jerry Seinfeld quipped, "Don't'cha see what's goin' on here...??"

Tom, try different strings. My solid top, laminate TT lobes flurocarbon Carbon Strings. I’ve tried all kinds some tension and material other than flurocarbon do not sound good on my TT

Second, string thru are easy and sturdy system but you need to add a bead at end of string. Dollar store is where I got mine. Look up Rosette Diamond Tie beads/ block. I’m ordering a set of four to simplify.

I want an all solid now that I’ve had my spruce solid top model. These are great ukuleles

Good luck with you search.

Isn't that a long neck concert? That is what was confusing me, or is a case of tomato tomahto.

No, it's not the same thing. The actual overall body length; that is, the length from the very bottom of the ukulele to the top of the headstock (not the scale length) is shorter on a tiny tenor than that of a long-neck concert because the body is designed to allow the bridge to be placed closer to the bottom of the soundboard than is the case with conventionally designed ukuleles. Because of the tenor scale and the "normal" placement of the bridge on a long-neck concert, a long-neck concert is actually longer in overall body length than a tiny tenor is.

There's more information about the design here.
https://www.romerocreations.com/tiny-tenor

And here's a link to a sound sample:
https://vimeo.com/73505134

Last edited:
One of the distinguishing things about them is the body shape, it's kind of rounded triangular, or flat bottomed teardrop, & that is how they can put the bridge down lower & get good sound/tone.

Some interesting remarks in this thread. I like the Romero Creations line a lot, mostly for their build quality and their unusual designs. I agree with the OP's assessment that the Tiny Tenor model does not sound "better" than an average tenor, but I wouldn't expect it to. It's a cool concept, and that it sounds like a tenor at such a small size is good enough for me.

As for the string-through bridge, I agree that changing a single string can be challenging, and that the smaller strings tend to slip through. Using beads should take care of that, and some luthiers think that beads will actually improve the transmission of sound from the strings to the soundboard.

Yes, I think it's tomato tomahto. I had a solid mahogany, and now I have a solid spruce/laminate mahogany. The name really doesn't make any sense, but they had to call it something. It's certainly not tiny, but it is a tenor, so why not just call it a tenor? I regretted selling my mahogany, but I'm glad I was able to find the spruce. I had been looking for one for months, and someone here offered one for sale.

I think the TT has a big sound, and I like feeling the vibration against my body as I play. Beads are definitely the way to go with the strings. I prefer through-the-top to the traditional bridges that hold the string in place with a knot. If the knot is too large or too small, it doesn't work. I think the most secure method is to tie the string to the bridge.

TT.jpg

Last edited:
No, it's not the same thing. The actual overall body length; that is, the length from the very bottom of the ukulele to the top of the headstock (not the scale length) is shorter on a tiny tenor than that of a long-neck concert because the body is designed to allow the bridge to be placed closer to the bottom of the soundboard than is the case with conventionally designed ukuleles. Because of the tenor scale and the "normal" placement of the bridge on a long-neck concert, a long-neck concert is actually longer in overall body length than a tiny tenor is.

There's more information about the design here.
https://www.romerocreations.com/tiny-tenor

And here's a link to a sound sample:
https://vimeo.com/73505134

Good point, mds725, and well-taken.

I just have three things to say about my mahogany Tiny Tenor. In spite of all the hype from Daniel, they sound about average, not bad and not that great, just ok. Daniel Ho can make anything sound great. 2. They are comfortable and the neck is great. 3. They are a pain in A** to change out the strings. No matter how big or how tight I tie the knot on the A string, the bridge will not hold it. It comes flying out.

Frustrated

I am sorry you are having a problem with your Tiny Tenor. I love my spalted mango TT. I bought it set up from HMS. HMS had changed the strings from the original Romero strings. They were low G Aquilla strings, I think. I needed a high G-string uke so I bought a Romero set and changed them with no problem, by following the video posted on You Tube by Pepe Romero, as to how to do that. I didn't have to use beads. I wonder if your uke is defective?

To everyone, Thankyou. I went to bed after posting my frustration last night (expressing my frustration something I don’t like doing and actually felt a bit guilty and childish afterward). I logged in this morning and read the encouraging words and good advice. I did exactly as advised, went to my local Dollar Store, bought a bag of beads, went to my teaching studio, started restringing process over, stuck the string in the little hole, tied the bead on (like tying a fish hook), and tuned her up. IT WORKED GREAT. THANKS to all of you. I love this community! HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
You bet, Tom! Glad to know it worked out !! Don't worry, we all get frustrated occasionally; all is well !! Happy Thanksgiving to you and all the good folks here !!

I may be biased. After all, I do own a Tiny Tenor. But, I will say that with my Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor it sounds significantly better than so many higher end ukes I've had tried. Wait a minute. Let me clarify. The sound from the solid Tiny Tenor is unique and the solid body is better sounding that the laminate top Tiny Tenor thats a matter of taste of course. I say it is a unique instrument. The solid Spalted Mango TT is so bright and with so much range it's incredible. The solid Mahogany has an bigger range in that it has more warmth and equal sustain. Just incredible. Anyone playing the solid TT will find out it is one of the most responsive ukes you can get. The sound can be manipulated to an incredible degree. By string choice, where it is strummed, how and where your forearm touches it, how it rests on your body, your nails, your fingertips, . . . strumming or finger picking. Pretty cool. The sound can be crafted, pushed, and pulled more than the traditional high end ukes I've tried. Again IMO. Personally, I think it's because of the unique bracing and careful construction.

Yes, I think it's tomato tomahto. I had a solid mahogany, and now I have a solid spruce/laminate mahogany. The name really doesn't make any sense, but they had to call it something. It's certainly not tiny, but it is a tenor, so why not just call it a tenor? I regretted selling my mahogany, but I'm glad I was able to find the spruce. I had been looking for one for months, and someone here offered one for sale.

They do fit in a concert case, and their overall length (from the top of the headstock to the very bottom of the bout) is shorter than a typical tenor, even though it has a tenor scale. Although the word "tiny" may be overselling their compactness, they aren't just tenors.

I have flown with mine a lot. Very easy to travel with the TT name is tenor scale but overal concert length. If anyone has an all solid spruce and mahogany, I’d look at buying it. I like my laminate but would love and all solid TT. Failing finding a used one, I will wait until I can play a all solid in the different t wood , only because I have five tenors and don’t need one now. If I find the right wood , all solid , I would definitely sell a tenor to have it. I will,post pics of the beads I use and Rosette tie blocks when they come. GreAt system, thru body. A bit harder but worth it. TTis cool concept. I like it.

Top Bottom