Do you use one UKE for both Low g and High G?

Jo3x

Reaction score
Hi,

I see many low g threads these days, which makes me also want to try low g. But not like many UUer's here, I only have one Tenor UKE, so if I want to use it for both low g and high G, I'll have following problems:

1) Not that convenient to switch between low g and high G frequently;
2) Wouldn't the nut/saddle need to be adjusted as low g string is generally thicker?

If there are not good solutions, it seems I'd better purchase another UKE. I'm not sure about that just because I don't think I have qualified skills to spend more money on a new uke.

No, it's not something you want to do regularly even though it may not require an adjustment to nut or saddle. However, before you buy a second uke, I'd recommend trying "Low G" on your current uke for a few weeks to see how you like it. Assuming you do, you then have a well-justified "need" for another uke. ;-)

1. No, and the strings would wear out more quickly if you swapped them back and forth all the time.
2. Not necessarily. Aquila Red strings are made weightier by adding copper, so the low G might not be too thick. I don't think an Aquila Red string would withstand being swapped out and back frequently though.

Personally I would purchase another uke to string high G, but if you make that a soprano then it won't be as expensive as a second tenor, and won't take up so much space either.

No, it's not something you want to do regularly even though it may not require an adjustment to nut or saddle. However, before you buy a second uke, I'd recommend trying "Low G" on your current uke for a few weeks to see how you like it. Assuming you do, you then have a well-justified "need" for another uke. ;-)

Exactly what Eddie said,.......try one string change to linear......if you like it, get a 2nd uke.

I used to have a tenor for Low G and one for High G but decided they both sounded better with Low G.

I prefer soprano in high G and my tenor low G. Switching strings just doesn’t seem practical.

I had a concert that was tuned to low A. If you only have one tenor but more concerts you could put low G’s on a concert.

It was not my decision to go from Low A tuning to high g tuning. It was changed by a technician who did repairs to it. I do not current have a ukulele with low tuning, but may consider changing a concert.

Definitely different ukes. And for a simple reason: While ukes which work with low g will most likely also work with high g, not all ukes working with high g will really work well with a low g string. That doesn‘t necessarily mean that only tenor ukes work with low g, but from my experience that‘s often the case - a certain body construction is necessary for the lower frequencies. I tried a couple of sopranos and even concert ukes, but the low g string (various brands) sounded dull and without any presence (compared to the other strings).

However, the low g string works surprisingly well on a ROmero Creations soprano, for example. Anyway, tht point is: different strings, different ukes.

If there are not good solutions, it seems I'd better purchase another UKE. I'm not sure about that just because I don't think I have qualified skills to spend more money on a new uke.

You have the qualified skills to own a second ukulele. You don't have to be a great player to enjoy having options when you play.

You may even find that you play a tenor more with a low-G because you like the sound more. Give it a try.

Put on a Low G string on all of your ukuleles. It is the only way to go IMO.

I'll have to disagree, and I bet I'm not alone in this group. I like the low G a lot for melody picking and finger picking when I need a bass line, but the high G seems to sound much nicer for strumming chords and there are some finger style tunes where the 4th string is used for melody. I really appreciate having both options, but if I were forced to have only one ukulele, it would be tuned with a high G. That's what makes the "Ukulele Sound" for me.

I‘ll have to agree here, and fully so. Even the part with „only one ukulele“. Although I seriously hope that this will never be the case...

You need 2 more, one low g, one reentrant, one for the alternate tuning you’re experimenting with at any point in time.

Top Bottom