PDA

View Full Version : String Suggestions for New Kamaka Soprano

mingus
11-19-2018, 03:37 PM
So...fifteen years of ukulele in my life and finally decided to buy my first Kamaka!!

Nice little soprano, but...

Not a fan of the strings!!

Any suggestions from the Kamaka owners in the UU universe?

Looking for advice, thanks!

janeray1940
11-19-2018, 03:49 PM
My strings of choice on my Kamakas were Martin M600s for the longest time, but lately my loyalties have shifted to D'Addario fluoros (https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddario-ej99sc-pro-arte-carbon-ukulele-soprano-concert-15647.html). They have a bright clear tone like Martins, but are a little bit thicker so they don't cause the buzz that I've experienced on my Kamakas when using something other than stock strings.

wayfarer75
11-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Aquila Lava

Ukulele Eddie
11-21-2018, 02:05 PM
Despite having owned more than 60 ukes, I have never owned a Kamaka! But I've changed a few strings. ;-)

Which strings depend a lot on what you prefer in strings:

-- Harder or less harder string?
-- Higher or lower tension string?
-- Thicker or thinner?

I tend to prefer less hard, lower tension, medium thickness strings. Lately, my go-to strings tend to be Oasis Brights (not bright, but these are less thick than their Warms) and Acquila Carbonblacks.

hendulele
11-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Hi Eddie,

The Carbonblacks aren't being made any more (though some dealers may still have a few sets in stock).

Fans of the type can find a very similar and IMHO better playing formulation with the new Martin Premium Strings. Made by Aquila. I like them a lot.

JonThysell
11-24-2018, 06:22 PM
Martin M600s are my go to for sopranos. Have put them on many ukes. Great strings and easy to source.