String Suggestions for New Kamaka Soprano

mingus

Reaction score
So...fifteen years of ukulele in my life and finally decided to buy my first Kamaka!!

Nice little soprano, but...

Not a fan of the strings!!

Any suggestions from the Kamaka owners in the UU universe?

Looking for advice, thanks!

My strings of choice on my Kamakas were Martin M600s for the longest time, but lately my loyalties have shifted to D'Addario fluoros. They have a bright clear tone like Martins, but are a little bit thicker so they don't cause the buzz that I've experienced on my Kamakas when using something other than stock strings.

Despite having owned more than 60 ukes, I have never owned a Kamaka! But I've changed a few strings. ;-)

Which strings depend a lot on what you prefer in strings:

-- Harder or less harder string?
-- Higher or lower tension string?
-- Thicker or thinner?

I tend to prefer less hard, lower tension, medium thickness strings. Lately, my go-to strings tend to be Oasis Brights (not bright, but these are less thick than their Warms) and Acquila Carbonblacks.

Hi Eddie,

The Carbonblacks aren't being made any more (though some dealers may still have a few sets in stock).

Fans of the type can find a very similar and IMHO better playing formulation with the new Martin Premium Strings. Made by Aquila. I like them a lot.

Martin M600s are my go to for sopranos. Have put them on many ukes. Great strings and easy to source.

Top Bottom