Simple Repair?

Technically, that‘s probably right. But I would suggest looking for the reason the fingerboard is coming off. Is it just due to bad or not enough or old glue? Or is it, maybe, because the neck has bent? From what I learned about instrument repair, a bent neck is very close to a hopeless case.
But I should add that I am not a luthier myself, and my woodworking skills are not existent. But I happen to know a couple of people who are very much into building and repairing instruments. ANd this is just a spontaneous thought I got from watching your pictures.

Technically, that‘s probably right. But I would suggest looking for the reason the fingerboard is coming off. Is it just due to bad or not enough or old glue? Or is it, maybe, because the neck has bent? From what I learned about instrument repair, a bent neck is very close to a hopeless case.
But I should add that I am not a luthier myself, and my woodworking skills are not existent. But I happen to know a couple of people who are very much into building and repairing instruments. ANd this is just a spontaneous thought I got from watching your pictures.

Thanks. I'll let someone else have the pleasure of repairing this one.

I agree. If the neck or fretboard is warped/twisted, it’s not an easy fix.

I'm with frolicks--I would be very suspicious that this is a sign of a larger problem. Fingerboards do not normally just come off like that, so I would want to know: what is the cause? Poorly-made ukulele? Poorly cared-for ukulele? Traumatic incident? IMO probably best to take it to a professional and have them diagnose it to make sure it is worth the effort and the investment to fix.

Is there buzzing anywhere on the fret board and how is the intonation? If it plays well and sounds the same then as the saying goes "If it's not broke don't fix it"

Is there buzzing anywhere on the fret board and how is the intonation? If it plays well and sounds the same then as the saying goes "If it's not broke don't fix it"

I agree. Wood is a somewhat unstable and primitive material that interacts with its environment. There will always be some degree of warp and imperfection.

I have a Ubass with a visible hump in a region of the 2nd-3rd fret. However, it does not appear to affect my tone or cause buzz, so it doesnt bother me :)

Thanks, all! I'm glad I didn't take a chance by trying to save a few dollars. For $30 more, I found a used one that is in good condition, so I paid $160, rather than $200 for a new one..

Oh, another "problem" with that uke: one of the silver metal tuners was replaced with a white plastic one. Odd. How difficult is it to use the same type of tuner - or replace all of them?

Thanks, all! I'm glad I didn't take a chance by trying to save a few dollars. For $30 more, I found a used one that is in good condition, so I paid $160, rather than $200 for a new one..

Oh, another "problem" with that uke: one of the silver metal tuners was replaced with a white plastic one.

The original knob probably broke when the owner dropped the uke so hard the fretboard detached :D

Top Bottom