Posting a sound sample

RafterGirl

Reaction score
What's the easiest way to post a sound sample? I don't have a fancy mic, just my cellphone to record one.
Thanks

What's the easiest way to post a sound sample? I don't have a fancy mic, just my cellphone to record one.
Thanks

Here is what I do. First download a free recording ap, not sure if you have iPhone or Android. Make your recording name it then save it in "Box", if you don't have "Box" then download it. All of this can be done with just your phone. Next step, once of have made your post/thread link your recording in Box to the post by clicking on the icon above that is the globe with glasses. You then just copy or type the URL number from the "Box" file

Edit I forgot the word app after recording in the first sentence, added now

Last edited:
What's a good free recording app for iPhone? I'm not sure what "Box" is. Is it free? I tried recording a short video on my phone, but the sound quality was terrible.

What's a good free recording app for iPhone? I'm not sure what "Box" is. Is it free? I tried recording a short video on my phone, but the sound quality was terrible.

Garageband works great.

Modern phones actually aren't all that bad at making a somewhat decent recording.
It's about the placement of it.

If a recording sounds bad from your phone, it is possible that you are too close to the mic when recording, making it distort and clip the louder frequencies of your sound. If too far, the recording might be too vague and faint. You'll have to experiment with distances and location of your playing relative to your phone to get the best results.

No need for apps. Just use your phone's video recorder or sound recorder.
You can easily upload and share recordings on websites like Youtube and Soundcloud.
I find Youtube the easiest platform to share on. If you don't want to show yourself on video, either record with your camera covered or it pointed away from you. Or just edit the video so there is some image or title screen showing while the audio plays.

That being said, for better results, you should consider getting a microphone and recording on your computer.
A USB Condenser microphone, like a Samson C01U, Blue Yeti, Blue Snowball, etc, do not cost very much but will be a huge upgrade from a cell phone mic.

You can either record on your computer's default sound recorder or webcam recorder OR get an audio recording software (Audacity is free and very good, though it takes a bit of getting used to), and record through that.

For ideal results, you'd have to invest in more sophisticated equipment like a USB interface for XLR mics, and some studio grade microphones, etc. For an even more ideal result, you'd record in an actual recording studio. But you don't have to go that far for some decent home made results as per the methods described above.

EG: I recorded this with a Samson C01U USB microphone which retails for under $99 on eBay, using Audacity sound recording app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNyuI3evT44

I recorded this on on my computer's default webcam software using the same mic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXoCvUWtwzc

For comparison, this is recorded purely on my Samsung cell phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USX_cL0dDXc

Last edited:
Thanks kissing.
I think I was way to close to the phone, and my desk was blocking the sound as well. I need to get a tripod mount for my phone & a decent mic. I'll try again, with better phone placement.

I quickly recorded a sound sample on my phone. I imported it to iMovie to edit & add titles. Now I'm trying to share it to YouTube. I've logged in to YouTube & filled in all the blanks. When I hit Publish I get an error message. It just says "an error has occurred" but gives no explanation. I've tried sharing it in all the formats. No dice. Any ideas????

PS - it's iMovie 09, so an old version.

Last edited:
I quickly recorded a sound sample on my phone. I imported it to iMovie to edit & add titles. Now I'm trying to share it to YouTube. I've logged in to YouTube & filled in all the blanks. When I hit Publish I get an error message. It just says "an error has occurred" but gives no explanation. I've tried sharing it in all the formats. No dice. Any ideas????

PS - it's iMovie 09, so an old version.

Perhaps you are trying to upload a "save" file that iMovie uses for editing work, rather than an exported movie file for playback.
When you finished editing your video, did you pick an output file type when exporting the movie?

(sorry I don't use Apple, I use Windows so don't know in-depth how iMovie exports movies, though the overall concept should be the same).

OK, I think I figured out how to make it work. I did the edit in iMovie, but instead of sharing it direct to YouTube, I copied it to my desktop. Then I went to YouTube and uploaded it. The link seems to work.

Top Bottom