Please recommend a tech in Houston for my Klos tenor low G needing a setup

dogloose

Reaction score
I have had my new Klos tenor deluxe acoustic/electric with low G for a few weeks. The setup from the factory is not cutting it for me - noticeable string buzz that’s killing the sound particularly on the C string. Besides a setup to fix the buzz, the action could be improved too... it’s a bit high up the neck. And the fret edges feel a little sharp when you slide your hand down the side.

Anyone know a luthier in the Houston area that does good work on ukuleles and can handle the Klos. The body is carbon fiber but the neck is wood if that matters. Thanks!

I have had my new Klos tenor deluxe acoustic/electric with low G for a few weeks. The setup from the factory is not cutting it for me - noticeable string buzz that’s killing the sound particularly on the C string. Besides a setup to fix the buzz, the action could be improved too... it’s a bit high up the neck. And the fret edges feel a little sharp when you slide your hand down the side.

Anyone know a luthier in the Houston area that does good work on ukuleles and can handle the Klos. The body is carbon fiber but the neck is wood if that matters. Thanks!

Did you ever find a tech for your KLOS? I've had mine for a couple of weeks also. My action was near perfect when I first received it. At least I thought it was when I checked it. Now, now so good. I mean it's ok. But, second fret is high as is the 15th fret. My fret edges are still very good. The action height is good for me. But, might be a bit high for others.

You could tackle it yourself if you are careful. Lots of YouTube videos out there. The guy I usually go to for setup is impossible to get an appointment with so I will probably do it myself. The only thing I may need and can't do myself is a compensated saddle.

I still have not found a uke tech in Houston. Of course there are several good guitar repair shops in town... but I was hoping to find someone with a reputation for doing good work on ukes. I am not so brave (or foolish) to think I could do it myself... and get it right... the first time I ever tried. Hoping someone will share their experience through the board. Thanks for your comment.

Sorry to hear of the issues you're having with your Klos. But really, any good guitar tech can work on a uke, you just need to tell him what you want. To start it sounds as if you need a couple of high frets looked at, which may just need to be fully seated (with a blow from a fretting hammer) or at worse filed down and recrowned. Dealing with the fret ends is simple too. As for the action, that you should probably give the tech a target measurement, like say 0.090", since that is one place where ukes do differ from acoustic guitars. Which is why is a good idea to measure the setup parameters of a uke that you do like so you can use that as a guide for future setups.

Happy to report I have solved my problem and my Klos carbon fiber ukulele is now playing better than ever. I took it to Great Southern Music on Highway 6 in Houston where the owner and experienced luthier Kevin Perry did the setup. He fixed some high frets, smoothed all the fret edges, and worked the nut and bridge to improve the action and intonation. Really happy with the job and would recommend GSM to anyone in Houston who needs work done on their uke.

Top Bottom