NUD: Martin Style 2 vintage

cogfasser

Reaction score
Happy ukulele day. Its easy to understand why many Martin sopranos are so coveted by some owners. I recently received a vintage Martin Style 2 which has such a wonderful sound. Previously, I had a c. 1925 Style 0—which I regretted letting go—so I kept my eye open for another. On a chance, I purchased this little guy and it cleaned up very well. It's in incredible shape with no signs of cracks, repairs or damage. Beautiful mahogany grain, glossy finish with aged-colored ivoroid bindings. I had a hard time trying to date the year, but I figure it to be built around a 1933-35. It features bar frets and also the decal on the face of the headstock with no stamp on the back. The original tuners (Simplex 92s?) were replaced with 1940/50's Grovers at some point. It only had one owner who purchased the uke in the 30's and passed away in '65. Since the, it has been stored away for the past 50 years, unplayed. It plays like a dream—feather weight, loud, resonant, deep, dry woody sound (will post a sound byte soon). I am experiencing a difficulty putting it down ever since it arrived.

MartinStyle2_1.jpgMartinStyle2_2.jpgMartinStyle2_3.jpg

Lovely instrument and a great find!

What a beauty. Congratulations on a helluva NUD with a back story.

What a beauty and what a wonderful story!

Top Bottom