Ever wonder who bought a certain ukulele?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
In light of the upcoming Beatles fest here on UU, I have been thinking about that painted ukulele with the Yellow Submarine theme. I don't seem to be able to post the link here, but if you google painted ukulele yellow submarine, you'll find paintedukuleles .com, and the ukulele.

I wonder what the story is behind that. Who was the original owner, and who bought it when it was up for sale again? They must be a Beatles fan, so I would most likely like them. :)

There could be some interesting stories behind some of the ukuleles in terms of who bought them and why.

Or maybe not. But I like to imagine happy people with fun ukuleles.

Are there any ukuleles that have stuck in your mind?

I've discovered when there are links in a post, don't click the 'Post Quick Reply' button, instead click the 'Go Advanced' button, then on that page, click the 'Submit Reply' button. That by-passes all the warnings.

Yellow sub uke.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Last edited:
Thanks for getting the link posted.

When I'm letting my imagination out for a spin, I wonder about stories behind that ukulele. The truth probably isn't as fun as my imagination, but it might have some great stories. And, if you're a big Beatles fan at least, it looks really cool. :)

I knew Moogly-Moo, back in the day, and supplied one of my cigarbox ukes to be painted by her with a floral scene, for a customer in the USA. I took it to Moogly-Moo's place in Taunton and she had just finished painting a "Yellow Submarine" uke. That was back in 2008, if my memory is correct.

I don't know if M.M. painted more than one uke with a "Yellow Submarine" theme, but it seems likely that this was the same uke featured in the blog spot. The blog refers to 2012, which is quite a bit later than when I saw it.

This doesn't add anything to the story of the first owner of the "Yellow Submarine", but it was a fine piece of work by a very able artist.

M.M.was the wife of a good friend of mine, but I believe they are no longer together, and I have lost touch with both of them.

John Colter.

Thanks, ukantor, for filling in a little bit of the back story of that ukulele.

I imagine that a Beatles fan somewhere is very happy to have that in their possession, (and I hope that they enjoy playing it, too.)
I do appreciate the work that went into the ukulele, and maybe someday, I'll get to see it in person, and find out more about it.

I'm not just Beatles obsessed. :)
I wonder about this ukulele too:
https://vimeo.com/146811380

Beautiful sounding (and looking) ukulele. It was Kinnard Luthiers Reserve #1, but I don't recall seeing a #2. Was this the only one so far?

Kinnardukes built 3 luthier reserves. You can see them in the website.

Top Bottom