NUD: Ohana CK-450QEL

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just got an Ohana CK450QEL, quilted eucalyptus concert size from Mim, with an L.R. Baggs Five.O pickup installed.

Still acclimating - when it was delivered yesterday, high temp for the day was in the low teens...

More photos as I get a chance.
ohana Eucalyptus.jpg
(Click on the photo for a larger image....)

This is one that has intrigued me since I first saw it. I'll be really interested to hear your impressions of how the eucalyptus sounds. There is so much of it around here, but you never see instruments made out of it.

This is one that has intrigued me since I first saw it. I'll be really interested to hear your impressions of how the eucalyptus sounds. There is so much of it around here, but you never see instruments made out of it.

I decided to give the uke a full 72 hours to acclimate, and just took it out and played for about 30 minutes. Mim left the original Aquila Strings on, and the effect of the whole is very warm and "full".

It is easy to play, the notes sound clean, and holding it is quite easy. The lower bout has a "comfort edge"; not fully rounded, but when you let your arm rest there, you don't get the "Crease of Doom".

I haven't had much opportunity to do any videos lately, but I'l try and do one this week. I'll also try and plug it in, to see how the L.R. Baggs Five.O uke pickup works...)

This makes my 4th Ohana Uke, BTW; two Vita Ukes, the CK-65D, and now the CK450QEL. All are worth having.

(One of the Vitas I won from Making Music magazine, and the Rosewood Vita was used, from a UU member, but setup by Mim. The two I bought new came from Mim.)

-Kurt​

Congratulations on that pretty new baby!
I strummed on one similar to it at TBUG, and it felt good, sounded great.

That’s gorgeous, Kurt! Mazel tov!

I decided to give the uke a full 72 hours to acclimate, and just took it out and played for about 30 minutes. Mim left the original Aquila Strings on, and the effect of the whole is very warm and "full".

It is easy to play, the notes sound clean, and holding it is quite easy. The lower bout has a "comfort edge"; not fully rounded, but when you let your arm rest there, you don't get the "Crease of Doom".

I haven't had much opportunity to do any videos lately, but I'l try and do one this week. I'll also try and plug it in, to see how the L.R. Baggs Five.O uke pickup works...)

This makes my 4th Ohana Uke, BTW; two Vita Ukes, the CK-65D, and now the CK450QEL. All are worth having.

(One of the Vitas I won from Making Music magazine, and the Rosewood Vita was used, from a UU member, but setup by Mim. The two I bought new came from Mim.)

-Kurt​

How do you like the Uke now that you have had it for a month? I love the look.

Sound samples?

How do you like the Uke now that you have had it for a month? I love the look.

I haven't had a chance to do any sound samples - this past month has been Inventory Time at my wife's yarn shop, PLUS all the end of year stuff at school, AND trying to shop for new vehicles...

My take on the uke is that I really like it a lot. I think I'd prefer Worth Brown strings, but it will be a little while before I have the chance to put a set on. The Aquilas are still fine, but I've gotten so used to fluorocarbon stings, they are a bit thick for me.

As the the L.R. Baggs Five.O pickup.... I think the correct adjective is "Wow." Not to take anything away from the MiSi, which I also love, but the Baggs is phenomenal. Plugging in, through a DI Box then the mixer at an Open Mic, it sounded... I don't know, "even more natural and acoustic"? I just got a new UkeLeash from Lori to use on this instrument, so I hope to get back out and play in public again soon. Maybe I'll bring a recorder with me at one of the next local Uke Group meetings...

-Kurt​

A Wonderful And Unique Concert

I purchased a CK-450QEL from Uke Like The Pros in February 2021, and I love it. Not only is it really pretty (mine has a high amount of quilting in the tone-wood: front, back, and sides; it is even prettier than the one shown on the Ohana website), it also sounds absolutely wonderful. I swapped out the original-issue Aquila strings (and it sounded great with those, I debated even changing them) with Living Water clear fluorocarbon strings, and now it sounds almost angelic. Bright, clear, articulate, and with a sustain almost like using the right pedal of a piano. I definitely recommend it.

I purchased a CK-450QEL from Uke Like The Pros in February 2021, and I love it. Not only is it really pretty (mine has a high amount of quilting in the tone-wood: front, back, and sides; it is even prettier than the one shown on the Ohana website), it also sounds absolutely wonderful. I swapped out the original-issue Aquila strings (and it sounded great with those, I debated even changing them) with Living Water clear fluorocarbon strings, and now it sounds almost angelic. Bright, clear, articulate, and with a sustain almost like using the right pedal of a piano. I definitely recommend it.

Congratulations! Enjoy it.

Congrats! I just did the same string change on my wife’s CK-450QEL this weekend. The strings are still settling in, but I agree that Living Waters sound great with it.

Last edited:
My CK-450QEL is a great Uke. Maybe the prettiest Uke I’ve ever seen. And it sounds good too!

Last edited:
Top Bottom