Wider Nut Concert

tommyboy

Reaction score
I am a beginner and looking to purchase a decent Concert Ukulele with a wider nut, preferably 1 1/2". Any recommendations?

Pretty sure Covered Bridge will make you one like that. It might even be their default - pretty sure it is for tenor at least

I think 1 1/2" is standard for Islander. The Ukulele Site sells them.

I also like a wider nut. You might try the Mitchell line - they are very affordable. The nut on the MU50SE, and MU-70CE, is very close to 1-1/2". They are both playable right out of the box. The 50 has brighter tone and is very light. The 70 is like a baseball bat and a bit 'darker' or more mellow. I like them both.

<edit> After reading down further, I am including the "string spread" at the nut:

MU50SE 1-1/8" (28mm)
MU-70CE 1-3/16" (30mm)

Last edited:
The Islander looks great, how is the action? Would I need to have an Islander setup or would it be good out of the box?

The Islander looks great, how is the action? Would I need to have an Islander setup or would it be good out of the box?

I bought a second hand Islander MST-4 solid mahogany tenor. It desperately needed a setup. After botching a nut slot, I ended up cutting a new bone nut for it ..but now it's one of my favorite players. Great tone and lots of sustain... though it's not my loudest uke.

Yes, the 1.5" nut width is greatly appreciated but it's also combined with a very comfortable neck profile. It's a joy to play, now, after a bit of work.

Last edited:
Cordoba's 24C concert uke also has a 1.5" nut.

The 24 series are really nice: solid cedar tops over spalted maple bodies trimmed in red paduak. They're light, responsive, and they sound great. They're also very reasonably priced.

My Cordoba 24T tenor had an excellent setup right off the rack. It, too, combines the wide fretboard with an easy playing neck. I actually like the Cordoba neck more than the Islander neck but it's pretty close.

I will likely be buying a Cordoba 24C in the near future. They can be very inexpensive and I really love my 24T.

I also have a 24B but I don't think I'm a baritone guy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom