Keiki Kamaka Gold Label Soprano

emeraldroz

Reaction score
I bought this beauty for $25 thinking it was a good deal for a starter uke. I’m a complete newbie. I had it confirmed today that this is the real deal and I’m one lucky lady to have purchased it for $25! One of the tuners has already been replaced and is obviously not original. I’m considering replacing all tuners but will hang onto the current ones since they’re part of this uke’s history. I can’t find a strap that I don’t think will get in the way of my strings so I am considering adding strap buttons. Would I be committing an awful violation if I modified her by adding strap buttons? I want to make her functional but I want to know the repercussions first.

Attachments

• IMG-0101.jpg
    IMG-0101.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-0102.jpg
    IMG-0102.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-0103.jpg
    IMG-0103.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG-0105.jpg
    IMG-0105.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-0106.jpg
    IMG-0106.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 55
My humble suggestion is to NOT add a strap button. You could try a uke leash until you feel more comfortable handling a soprano without a strap.

I have a uke leash on my tenors when I stand and play. When I sit I don’t need a strap.

You are truly lucky! Wow. $25!

A compromise that I've been very happy with on a vintage Kamaka is a strap called the Mobius strap. It comes very close to providing the same kind of support that conventional straps with buttons do and doesn't involve any alterations to the ukulele. Incidentally, that's a very nice find for $25.
Mike

Thank you for sharing. I don't really want to make modifications that will decrease its value but I want it to be functional. After getting your responses I am first going to try straps that won't require modifications. THANK YOU AGAIN!

A compromise that I've been very happy with on a vintage Kamaka is a strap called the Mobius strap. It comes very close to providing the same kind of support that conventional straps with buttons do and doesn't involve any alterations to the ukulele. Incidentally, that's a very nice find for $25.
Mike

Jerome, The Mobius strap looks like a great compromise. I am going to make one of these. Thank you so much for your suggestion.

My second humble suggestion is to invest $15 in a chromatic tuner like a snark, if you don’t already have one. I think that is the only essential accessory for a newbie. You have plenty of time to go crazy and buy strings, music stands, capos, straps, cases, etc.

Welcome and on a vintage kamaka! Wow! Awesome!

Top Bottom