Question re Blackbird Clara/Farallon owners

ghostrdr

Reaction score
Now that you’ve had it awhile, how durable is the finish? I know the ukes are supposed to be temp and humidity proof, but how is the finish? Does it show scratches? Strum marks, dings easily, dents easily?

How’s the sunburst finish? Compared to all wood does it show wear and tear about the same, better or worse? Or is it as tough as a fluke or flea?

Happy December everyone!

I bought my Clara used, and have been using it as my main player for the last couple of years. I am not a heavy strummer, mostly picking. I don't see any wear on the fretboard, which gets a lot of use up and down the neck, and with a wound low G string. The general surface looks the same as when I got it. So, without shredding, it seems to hold up fine. I would say it is as durable as my concert neck Flea. The Clara sounds much better, but I am not sure if I would risk it in really rough backpack conditions. I think with regular travel conditions I would be comfortable with it's sturdiness. It might be fine with rough handling, but I am not about to test it out.
–Lori

I own both the Clara and Farallon. They are very well built and durable. The surface is stretch resistance but I would not treat it like a camping Uke.
After all, they are not cheap ukes. Keep it in the bag when you are not playing it. As for temperature, I have had them in the car during the Canadian cold and San Diego heat.....they still stay in tune.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that the finish is pretty durable. I wonder if the sunburst finish is more prone to scratching. Now the question is if it is ideal as a travel uke because it is relatively immune to humidity and temperature changes, is the Clara preferable due to its more compact size, I.e., easier to take with you, fits better in an airplane, etc.

Top Bottom