Favorite chords?

CasanovaGuy

Reaction score
Aloha! Just wondering what are some favorite chords in the UU community. They don't have to be complicated or sound "nice." I'm just curious to see what I'm missing out on because I lowkey took a break from the uke to learn guitar lol.

Personally, I like how the add9 chords sound, chords like 0035, 2102, 3563, and 0975. Those chords where you fret stuff higher up the neck and leave some strings open also sound nice, chords like 4606, 6640, and 0067.

I also love the uke equivalent of a power chord (2255 for D, 4477 for E, etc.). It comes in clutch when playing 12-bar blues with other people.

Any and all Major7s - they make my toes curl. Mostly, quite easy to play, too.

John Colter.

I'm a sucker for a simple one- Gm. I have a version of St. James Infirmary that uses it in 2 positions, and it melts me whenever I play it.

Fun to see responses making reference to "melts me" and "makes my toes curl", as such is the beauty of the ukulele, and such is the way I feel, too, when I play certain chords. Probably my two favorites would be G6 (fingered 0202), and a chord whose name I don't know, but it's fingered 6600 (would that be A6?); and if you move that fingering either up one fret, or down one fret, the resulting chords are very pleasant as well !!

Last edited:
I don't have any toe-curlers, but I am also immune to ASMR videos. I've never had tingles in my life. However I do like 7#9 chords as arpeggios. Same thing with 7+ chords. They seem euphonically dissonant.

I had to Google ASMR videos. Never heard of them. I guess I'm just an old dinosaur who just uses YT for such things as learning chords and songs. Quaint, eh?

I hasten to add that the aforementioned toe curling is figurative, not literal. I seldom have an actual physical response to music or sounds, although the climax at the end of Stravinsky's "Firebird" has been known to cause me to ejaculate - in the shout-out-loud sense, of course.

John Colter.

I hasten to add that the aforementioned toe curling is figurative, not literal. I seldom have an actual physical response to music or sounds, although the climax at the end of Stravinsky's "Firebird" has been known to cause me to ejaculate - in the shout-out-loud sense, of course.

John Colter.

...that's not at all creepy :D

I can't think of a single chord that sends me off, but there are chord progressions that I love. One of my favorites is the first few chords of The Beatles' "Fixing a Hole"
F, Caug, Fm7, Fm6.... that's just magical stuff!

Last edited:
I like the minor chords. I think they add drama and flavor to many of the classic country-western ballads.

For some odd reason: Dmaj7

Am7 or C6. Love them both.;)

I'm partial to minor 7ths, Diminished and Augmented chords.
Some minor 6ths and Major 7ths :)

you can see how I use them in the various songbooks at
( ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com ).

if you go there, please take advantage of the Holiday Songbook!

keep uke'in', and Happy Holidays! :)

I'm particularly fond of G major, or rather the 2010 shape if only because whatever song I'm marking up with chord diagrams, it seems regardless of what key it's in, what tuning I'm transposing it for, or how jazzy the chords are, there's at least one 2010 in there somewhere. Otherwise, the diminished chords, because they perk up almost any song and you only need to learn one shape to play them all the way up the neck.

I'm particularly fond of G major, or rather the 2010 shape if only because whatever song I'm marking up with chord diagrams, it seems regardless of what key it's in, what tuning I'm transposing it for, or how jazzy the chords are, there's at least one 2010 in there somewhere. Otherwise, the diminished chords, because they perk up almost any song and you only need to learn one shape to play them all the way up the neck.

Maybe it's my old football injury, but isn't 2010 an F?

I second whoever said major sevenths. CM7 is a particular favourite because it's so easy to play.

Top Bottom