Ukes from Vietnam

JohnBoy

Reaction score
I have been shoping for a uke on Ebay and have noticed a guy from Vietnam who offers a solid mahogony uke with lots of inlays. They are nice looking but I wonder about the playability and tone etc. Does anyone have any feedback on these instruments? Much thanks!

Wow! Thanks for the link. You have saved me a lot of frustration!

I guess I got to be the guinea pig on this one.
It's beautiful, but doesn't play very well at all. I emailed Mike DaSilva about it and he told me that it might not even be worth the repair or the trouble of even attempting to fix the tone/action/etc...
So I'll just be getting a wall hanger and admire it for its looks.

Buiying Ukuleles from Vietnam

I know that this is an old thread, but thought I would add my experiences.

I have bought two Vietnamese Ukes in the past year or so, both from Bruce Wei Guitars.

Both Mahogany, both with MOP inlay, one a Tenor, one a Baritone.

Both are beautifully finished, and as yet are showing no signs of cracking or falling apart.

As soon as I got them, I replaced their strings with Aquila Nylgut items. - They sound a little 'twangy' on this size of Uke, but great for bending notes. - I may change them for less twangier strings (any suggestions folks?).

I see that Bruce Wei has some Tenor Ukes listed on Ebay at the moment, which unlike the ones I bought off him, are now supplied with Aquila strings. - Check them out, see what you think.

My only gripe is the shipping costs from Vietnam to the UK, are about £50 ($90 ?) I paid almost as much for the shipping as I did for the Ukes!!!!

Keep Strumming

Steve Bonner
('Worky Ticket' Ukuleles).

Bought one, acacia koa tenor, arrived today and not bad, bought it for aus dollar $65 + $85 shipping...its an ebay auction and maybe thats the reason his shipping fees. sound good, and i think its a solid acacia koa looking from the inside...but i am not a timber or wood expert.....

Last edited:
If you want an acacia uke consider Jason at www.pilikoko.com . Just bought one of the concerts and am more than happy.

How long did you wait while the Vietnamese ukulele was in transit from Vietnam to California? Did he ship it UPS or USPS?

Did you get a reduced shipping rate by combining 2 ukuleles in the same box? Did you request that the action be adjusted to your preference? Did the ukuleles reauire adjustment of the action or fret conditoning? How long did you wait while the Vietnamese ukulele was in transit from Vietnam to California? Did Bruce Weu ship it UPS or USPS?

As I understand it, Moku ukuleles are manufactured in Vietnam. They are very pretty and sound great.

When ordering from ebay is there customs/duty due on arrival?

As I understand it, Moku ukuleles are manufactured in Vietnam. They are very pretty and sound great.

You are correct Nickie. I received a Select Series solid spruce/mahogany from Moku last week. What a brilliant and impeccably made instrument !

Top Bottom