6 string string sets

greenie44

Big King Velour
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all -

I have recently become much more sensitive to the strings on my ukes, and (unfortunately) come to feel that my favorite set for a tenor is the medium gauge Southcoast set. I'm working on figuring out a substitute for those.

Meanwhile, I recently put some GHS strings on a 6 string, and they feel harsh to me - somewhat in sound, but definitely in playing. I much prefer the 'softer' feel of the Southcoast set. Any recommendations for either pre-packaged or assembled sets for 6 string tenors?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all -

I have recently become much more sensitive to the strings on my ukes, and (unfortunately) come to feel that my favorite set for a tenor is the medium gauge Southcoast set. I'm working on figuring out a substitute for those.

Meanwhile, I recently put some GHS strings on a 6 string, and they feel harsh to me - somewhat in sound, but definitely in playing. I much prefer the 'softer' feel of the Southcoast set. Any recommendations for either pre-packaged or assembled sets for 6 string tenors?

Thanks in advance.

Good question. I just bought a used Lili'u that has some black and wound string, and I suspect these are the GHS ones. I am not particularly fond of them and am looking for a replacement, specifically a set without the wound low A. So on top of the list is the Aquila New Nylgut with a red low A (which I love on my regular Tenor as low G), but I am also considering a fluorocarbon set. Also, the d'Addario Nyltech set looks very interesting, but their low A is an item# U1AQFS2026CF and it is not clear if this is Nyltech or some other material (or even wound).

Ken Middleton’s Living Waters might be a good choice.
He will make you a custom set with your desired tuning.
High/low g & a.

Ken Middleton’s Living Waters might be a good choice.
He will make you a custom set with your desired tuning.
High/low g & a.

+1 for Living Water. It's what I have on mine.

Mine originally came with Aquila with a wound low A. Some might prefer those.

So on top of the list is the Aquila New Nylgut with a red low A (which I love on my regular Tenor as low G), but I am also considering a fluorocarbon set. Also, the d'Addario Nyltech set looks very interesting, but their low A is an item# U1AQFS2026CF and it is not clear if this is Nyltech or some other material (or even wound).

I have contacted d'Addario about their Nyltech set and they confirmed that their low A is indeed a wound string. So I am glad that I took advantage of the S&B free shipping and ordered the aquila set. Keep fingers crossed that it actually has the red string included. Otherwise I will find a fluorocarbon set.

Top Bottom