Koa Sap (Heart) Wood Soprano

Uberhonky

Reaction score
Ignore this account. Created a new one. Couldn't c
I'm contemplating the purchase of a koa ukulele with a rather large sap band on the front and back. To give you an idea, the pretty white band is a tad larger than the bridge. It's almost the entire front and back with the sides being dark.

Does this effect the sound? Is this more prone to cracking? What problems could I have with this instrument down the road?

I'm told a hardener should have been used. It's a KoAloha brand so if there is an issue in the future will they repair or replace it?

I don't have much knowledge on koa sap wood's and I appreciate any feedback.

Never heard of sap wood causing any problems as it ages.

KoAloha has the best warranty in the industry, they take care of their customers. So, don’t worry about it, go for it, bet it is a beauty!!

Koaloha is great. First off they would not use that piece of wood if they thought it would not sound good or give problems. Second of all they have a lifetime warranty, absolutely the best in the industry as mingus pointed out

No, it should be fine. They look cool; I had one a while back, an Ohana TK-50G, rosewood with a fat sapwood stripe on the back, with cedar top.

View attachment 114065

Man, 3 messages and 1 pic is all it took to twist my arm. I just bought it.

Thank for the input everybody. Now please find a buyer for my KSM-02.

Happy Holiday!

Top Bottom