Thoughts on Big Island ukuleles

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Big Island ukuleles. I've come across an all solid koa tenor with fitted misi for just over £450 (£465 to be precise! Including postage) and it seems too good a deal to pass over?!
Anyone got one of these or any opinions please chime in!

Thanks

Last edited:
I played one of these tenors a few months back. Fit and finish were fantastic, great volume and sustain, lovely harmonics. Sounds Luke a no brainer at that price with the MiSi as well!

I played one of these tenors a few months back. Fit and finish were fantastic, great volume and sustain, lovely harmonics. Sounds Luke a no brainer at that price with the MiSi as well!

Thanks, that was what I was thinking but I haven't seen an awful lot about these on here so just wondered.
Thanks again :)

Please let us know how you like it if you're gonna get it. A few years back, many stores in Europe had them. From what I remember, they felt somewhat overbuilt to me, but that was back then, and I haven't seen many comments about them since then. I think they were (or still are) associated with Jorma Winkler who is also involved with Imua and Honu Ukulele. Or is this a different "Big Island" brand you came across?

I've played a few Big Island Uke's about 5 years ago. I really liked them. I wanted to buy one but I recall they were way overpriced for being an Aisia production ukulele. More expensive than Pono or Koaloha Thai produced line by $100 - $150. I couldn't justify the expense. it sounds like you got a good deal with the pickup and all. Big island are nice, sound good and play well. I'll be looking forward to hearing your impression.

This finally arrived today (postage issues at Christmas, need I say more!!)

It's an absolute stunner, I'm really quite surprised! Beautifully book matched and the top is matched to the back really nicely. It's not the loudest thing ever but then I'm not a fan of those Ukes that really shout at you. But it's got a bite if you need it and it's light and plays nicely up the neck.

For the price I'm very pleased!

Hi, was this an online order? I would quite like one of these myself

I own a mango concert size with a koa inlay around the sound hole, its a beautiful looking uke, however, this is not a loud instrument with its current strings (Aquila, I think) I watched a video on you tube from the UK and he recommended changing the strings to Savarez, I bought the strings but I havent changed them yet, I hope they will give more sustain and sound, enjoy your new uke Pix.fairydust

I own a mango concert size with a koa inlay around the sound hole, its a beautiful looking uke, however, this is not a loud instrument with its current strings (Aquila, I think) I watched a video on you tube from the UK and he recommended changing the strings to Savarez, I bought the strings but I havent changed them yet, I hope they will give more sustain and sound, enjoy your new uke Pix.fairydust

Thank you :) I've currently got worth strings on mine but may swap to living water.
Mango is a beautiful wood choice

Top Bottom