So am I being ridiculous?

Steve-atl

Reaction score
I bought a StewMac Ukulele Baritone Kit. It showed up today with a bad tear out on the neck. When I contacted customer service they did not seem to think it was a big deal. This is their response

"This will work fine if the higher section is sanded down. It could also be evened out by putting some plastic end trim over this area. I hope this helps!

Should I just deal with it? Or should I send it back?

Does anyone have recommendations for a good Ukulele Baritone Kit

Attachments

• Neck.jpg
    Neck.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 115
This is the bottom of the heel, right? Assuming that, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. Scrounge around for a little piece of wood that is a decent match to some other wood that is used on the uke. In this instance, that could be some walnut similar to your fret board and bridge. Use it to make a cap to put on the heel, maybe 1/16" thick. I always use a hardwood heel cap because it's decorative and protects the vulnerable point on the heel.

On the other hand, it's not at all ridiculous to take SM to task if they sent you a kit with a damaged part. If the kit as designed and produced calls for a heel without a cap and that's how you want build it, they owe you a part that was produced to spec.

It's also possible that the heel was made with a little extra length with the idea that the builder will cut or sand it down as needed, maybe with a bit of an angle so that it is in the same plane as the back of the body.

Last edited:
This usually sits below the line of the back. the exact position isn't very important. just sand it flat, or rather, the heel cap plain should follow the radius of the back.
Add a cap to match the binding if you want.

[video]http://www.beauhannamguitars.com/Heel-Caps.html[/video]

DSCN5025.jpg

"Should I just deal with it? Or should I send it back?"

Your choice - mine would be to deal with it as Saltitry suggests. I do like a nice heel cap.

John Colter.

Top Bottom