baritone ukulele back brace

Steve-atl

Reaction score
Is this the wrong brace?

I’m assembling a StewMac baritone ukulele kit. All the braces seem to be about the same thickness and height except for one which is beefier and taller than the rest. In the instructions, the photographs show I can lay a board over the top of the back braces and glue them at the same time but with the tall brace that wouldn’t work. Also in the photograph, all the braces look to be the same thickness and hight. Did they send me the wrong brace?

Update
I just checked and it seems the bigger brace is for the top, which really does not seem right.

The back braces have a radius to them. The top braces are all flat which includes the bigger taller brace.

Attachments

• back .jpg
    back .jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
It does not fit as a top brace. it's too big above the sound hole and to short below. If it was a top brace the bigger brace would have to go below the sound hole.....right?

I just got off the phone with StewMac They said the bigger brace goes above the soundhole. Here goes nothing

You should have received five transverse braces. Three of them are for the back and two are flat for the top. The top braces go above and below the sound hole. I would not use a board to glue the back braces but would use a series of clamps so that you get good contact all along the brace forming the radius. I'm assuming you do not have a go-bar system with a radiused dish. Ideal, but not absolutely necessary. See plan below:

bari uke.jpg

You should have received five transverse braces. Three of them are for the back and two are flat for the top. The top braces go above and below the sound hole. I would not use a board to glue the back braces but would use a series of clamps so that you get good contact all along the brace forming the radius. I'm assuming you do not have a go-bar system with a radiused dish. Ideal, but not absolutely necessary. See plan below:

View attachment 114143

Thanks

I had a go-bar system a long time ago but it's long gone. I have seen radiused dishes for guitar size instruments. Do they make them for ukuleles or do you have to make your own?

You don't really have to have a radiused dish although that would be nice. Just clamp the thang with clamps (I use spring clamps at the edges and cam clamps all along the middle) and the back will conform to the curve. Don't overthink it too much. Just do it. Everything will be fine.

I had the same question about where to place the braces in the baritone uke of just begun. Garrett in customer service kindly responded with this: "Braces with the flat gluing surface go on the top, curved bottom braces go on the back. The tallest cross-brace in the kit is the fingerboard brace", which likely means above the sound hole. Laying the braces out this way seemed to make good sense as I did it.

Top Bottom