Help: Buying a nice Ukulele for a friend that plays a alot.

HelloChips

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I don't know anything about Ukuleles but I have been researching them online and been watching lots of youtube videos to educate myself. I need this forum's help purchasing a nice ukulele for a close friend of mine (as a surprise) who plays a lot of bluegrass, folk, country type of music.

price range of $500-600

I have some questions.

•how much does brand play into the quality/ sound quality of these instruments at that price range? Does a specific brand makes better models at my price range than others?

•what do I need to watch out when buying expensive uk?

•is Amazon really a NO-NO store to buy?

•what bells and whistles companies try to sell you to add cost to the uk but irrelevant to the sound quality and feel of the uk? *How does Martin Uk compare to some of the Hawaii an brand names?

•what up with Ohana All Solid Models? are these all solid wood or some are spruce tops?

Here are some ukuleles on my list. Concert or Tenor( prefer)

•Cordoba 35T-CE Tenor Acoustic-Electric Ukulele

*Lanikai Manana-T Hawaiian Solid Body Acoustic-Electric Tenor Ukulele *T1K Koa Tenor Ukulele

*Ohana TK-35GCE

*Ohana Ukuleles BK-35G (baritone)

*Pono ATD - Gloss Acacia Tenor

*Cordoba 30T-CE Solid Mahogany

*Koaloha Opio Concert Long Neck Ukulele Package (KCO-02)

•any KoAloha ( how do they compare with other brands?)

I would appreciate suggestions, please.

lastly, any good place to purchase these instruments. preferable a place that offers good pricing :)

thank you all for looking into this! your replies are greatly appreciated :)

My advice. Simply do not do this as any purchase you make is 99% likely to not be what your friend would like or buy for themselves with the same funds. You have as much chance of getting this purchase right as you do just throwing a dart at a dart board and getting a Bullseye (basically no chance). Would I go out and buy my wife a dress? Not a chance ‘cause I’d get the wrong size, the wrong colours and the wrong style ...... she’d probably have preferred a skirt and blouse instead too.

Nice to have a friend like you though .......... Wish mine were as generous!

I wonder if Uke Republic do gift vouchers?

Last edited:
I agree that a gift certificate might be the best way to go. Having said that, I bought my Martin T1-K from Musician's Friend and had a real good experience. I have bought one from Uke Republic and one from Mim also and the setup is worth something too.

Where are you located? You mentioned UK, are you in the UK or US? World of Ukes and Southern Music Store are two in the UK that I’ve heard good things about. Does your friend already play the ukulele? What size are they playing? Size, brand, wood, and design features are very personal. We all like different things. In general I love KoAloha and have heard very things about their more affordable Opio line. I’d go along with what others have suggested with a gift certificate to a reputable dealer.

Sorry to be a downer here, but I absolutely agree that getting this right, without LOTS of hints from your friend, is going to be pretty tough. So while it won't be nearly as exciting an unboxing experience, I agree with the gift certificate idea. If in the UK Southern Ukulele Store perhaps, while in the US either Uke Republic or The Ukulele Site will be sure to have a great instrument available for your friend, with the all important setup as well.

The Koaloha brand is definitely way more than a notch above the rest of the list. I was at their factory tour last month and had a chance to compare their various levels of models. While the Opio models are quite nice and great value for the money, I find their choice of Sapele fretboards a bit odd. What I find the most interesting of the new Kaloha model line-up is their Acacia Series - the body is made in Thailand but then they put it together in Honolulu so it gets a stamp "Assembled in Hawaii". It has a nice Koa fretboard and some cool Ebony ornamentation, so it really stands out as a unique looking instrument.

https://store.ukelikethepros.com/products/honeysuckle-koaloha-rosette-concert-acacia-kcr-10ac

I don't have any work yet today, so I'll write out a long(ish) reply.

1. A gift voucher is definitely the safest way to go, but it doesn't have the same personal touch, does it?

2. "how much does brand play into the quality" - somewhat, but at that price point, you will find that any brand you get will be pretty good. The store you buy it at is probably more important. Mim's Ukes (https://www.mimsukes.com/), HMS (http://theukulelesite.com/), and Uke Republic (http://www.ukerepublic.com/) all have good reputations.

3. "what do I need to watch out when buying expensive uk?" - The same thing to watch out for with any uke. Is the intonation OK and is it set up properly, etc. If you buy from a reputable dealer, they will make sure of this for you. Also, just look for any defects such as warping of the neck or cracking of the body. This will be grounds for returning it as long as you haven't bought from somebody dodgy.

4. "is Amazon really a NO-NO store to buy?" - well I've heard people have got some quite good deals on Amazon, but it's totally pot luck. They probably won't do a setup and they may not take it back if it's defective (see number 3). Anyway, I wouldn't take the risk.

5. "what bells and whistles companies try to sell you to add cost to the uk but irrelevant to the sound quality and feel of the uk?" - Anything that's decorative, such as inlay, etc. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have it, but it's purely decorative. Also, slotted headstocks are mostly for looks and some people find their heaviness unbalances the uke.

6. "what up with Ohana All Solid Models? are these all solid wood or some are spruce tops?" Ohana all solids are all solid, but your question is a bit wrong. All solid means that no part of the body is made from laminate. This means that a uke can have a spruce top and still be all solid because the spruce is solid wood (not laminate). If it's spruce top (and you don't like that for whatever reason) it will say it in the description.

7. I will only comment on a few of the specific models

*Lanikai Manana-T Hawaiian Solid Body Acoustic-Electric Tenor Ukulele *T1K Koa Tenor Ukulele - I haven't played this and have no experience with it, but Lanikai is not a brand I would associate with a ukulele at this price point.

*Ohana Ukuleles BK-35G (baritone) - Baritone ukes have a different tuning. Unless you are absolutely sure that this is what your friend wants, then I would steer clear of them.

*Pono ATD - Gloss Acacia Tenor - Pono has a good reputation. This is probably a safe bet.

*any KoAloha (how do they compare with other brands?) - Koaloha's (including Opios) have excellent sound and playability. The reason I don't own one is because I personally don't like the aesthetics of the triangular sound hole and spiky headstock. Otherwise, they are great.

8. Other ukes to consider.
* When I had a similar budget for a uke, I ended up getting a Mele (https://meleukulele.com/) They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but it suited me.
* Otherwise, at your price range, I'd be looking at a Pono, Opio, or possibly a Romero Creations (I've heard good things, but haven't actually played one). You will find them at the sites I posted above.

Last edited:
Wow! thank you everyone for responding! I appreciate all the reply!!

My advice. Simply do not do this as any purchase you make is 99% likely to not be what your friend would like or buy for themselves with the same funds. You have as much chance of getting this purchase right as you do just throwing a dart at a dart board and getting a Bullseye (basically no chance). Would I go out and buy my wife a dress? Not a chance ‘cause I’d get the wrong size, the wrong colours and the wrong style ...... she’d probably have preferred a skirt and blouse instead too.

Nice to have a friend like you though .......... Wish mine were as generous!

I wonder if Uke Republic do gift vouchers?

Yeah I understand the concept. But it so impersonal to get a gift card and I want to surprise her. She currently has a cheap ukulele right now and I would like to get her something nice.

I agree that a gift certificate might be the best way to go. Having said that, I bought my Martin T1-K from Musician's Friend and had a real good experience. I have bought one from Uke Republic and one from Mim also and the setup is worth something too.

which one is your favorite? out of the three in all around feel and sound?

Where are you located? You mentioned UK, are you in the UK or US? World of Ukes and Southern Music Store are two in the UK that I’ve heard good things about. Does your friend already play the ukulele? What size are they playing? Size, brand, wood, and design features are very personal. We all like different things. In general I love KoAloha and have heard very things about their more affordable Opio line. I’d go along with what others have suggested with a gift certificate to a reputable dealer.

I actually live in the US I tried to abbreviate ukulele, I should have been more clear :(

Yes! she plays a lot. I know she has some cheap ukuleles and would like to get her something nice. I figure at that price range she would appreciate anything? maybe? she plays a tenor? I actually may need help identifying the ukulele she currently has. I only have pictures of her with it. low res pics

Sorry to be a downer here, but I absolutely agree that getting this right, without LOTS of hints from your friend, is going to be pretty tough. So while it won't be nearly as exciting an unboxing experience, I agree with the gift certificate idea. If in the UK Southern Ukulele Store perhaps, while in the US either Uke Republic or The Ukulele Site will be sure to have a great instrument available for your friend, with the all important setup as well.

how competitive are the prices with these websites? have you heard about buying things from amazon?

The Koaloha brand is definitely way more than a notch above the rest of the list. I was at their factory tour last month and had a chance to compare their various levels of models. While the Opio models are quite nice and great value for the money, I find their choice of Sapele fretboards a bit odd. What I find the most interesting of the new Kaloha model line-up is their Acacia Series - the body is made in Thailand but then they put it together in Honolulu so it gets a stamp "Assembled in Hawaii". It has a nice Koa fretboard and some cool Ebony ornamentation, so it really stands out as a unique looking instrument.

https://store.ukelikethepros.com/products/honeysuckle-koaloha-rosette-concert-acacia-kcr-10ac

thank you for sharing your experience. sounds like you got some first hand experience on checking out their manufacturing and assembly? I will look into this more tonight when im out from work.

I don't have any work yet today, so I'll write out a long(ish) reply.

1. A gift voucher is definitely the safest way to go, but it doesn't have the same personal touch, does it?

2. "how much does brand play into the quality" - somewhat, but at that price point, you will find that any brand you get will be pretty good. The store you buy it at is probably more important. Mim's Ukes (https://www.mimsukes.com/), HMS (http://theukulelesite.com/), and Uke Republic (http://www.ukerepublic.com/) all have good reputations.

3. "what do I need to watch out when buying expensive uk?" - The same thing to watch out for with any uke. Is the intonation OK and is it set up properly, etc. If you buy from a reputable dealer, they will make sure of this for you. Also, just look for any defects such as warping of the neck or cracking of the body. This will be grounds for returning it as long as you haven't bought from somebody dodgy.

4. "is Amazon really a NO-NO store to buy?" - well I've heard people have got some quite good deals on Amazon, but it's totally pot luck. They probably won't do a setup and they may not take it back if it's defective (see number 3). Anyway, I wouldn't take the risk.

5. "what bells and whistles companies try to sell you to add cost to the uk but irrelevant to the sound quality and feel of the uk?" - Anything that's decorative, such as inlay, etc. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have it, but it's purely decorative. Also, slotted headstocks are mostly for looks and some people find their heaviness unbalances the uke.

6. "what up with Ohana All Solid Models? are these all solid wood or some are spruce tops?" Ohana all solids are all solid, but your question is a bit wrong. All solid means that no part of the body is made from laminate. This means that a uke can have a spruce top and still be all solid because the spruce is solid wood (not laminate). If it's spruce top (and you don't like that for whatever reason) it will say it in the description.

7. I will only comment on a few of the specific models

*Lanikai Manana-T Hawaiian Solid Body Acoustic-Electric Tenor Ukulele *T1K Koa Tenor Ukulele - I haven't played this and have no experience with it, but Lanikai is not a brand I would associate with a ukulele at this price point.

*Ohana Ukuleles BK-35G (baritone) - Baritone ukes have a different tuning. Unless you are absolutely sure that this is what your friend wants, then I would steer clear of them.

*Pono ATD - Gloss Acacia Tenor - Pono has a good reputation. This is probably a safe bet.

*any KoAloha (how do they compare with other brands?) - Koaloha's (including Opios) have excellent sound and playability. The reason I don't own one is because I personally don't like the aesthetics of the triangular sound hole and spiky headstock. Otherwise, they are great.

8. Other ukes to consider.
* When I had a similar budget for a uke, I ended up getting a Mele (https://meleukulele.com/) They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but it suited me.
* Otherwise, at your price range, I'd be looking at a Pono, Opio, or possibly a Romero Creations (I've heard good things, but haven't actually played one). You will find them at the sites I posted above.

thank you so much for taking your time to tackle every single one of my questions. I will go over them one by one tonight.

I forgot to answer your question about Martin Ukes. Yes, they have a good reputation and would be a perfectly reasonable choice.

So...totally understand the caution flag everyone is flying, BUT:

I say go for it!! There is nothing like a wonderful surprise from a friend!

I’d go for something consistent like Pono or KoAloha Opio from a good retailer like HMS, MIM, or UkeRepublic!

Last edited:
First, you are an amazing friend! We all need more friends like you!

Second, it kind of depends on you, your friend, and your relationship. To better make suggestions for you, it will be helpful to know a little more about your friend and the type of music that she/he plays. Does the person play guitar or only ukulele? Does the person currently have a ukulele? what kind? what size (tenor, concert, etc.).

Buying a ukulele is sometimes very personal, but if you buy it as a gift, that adds to the sentimental value of it, so I'm also of the opinion that you should go for it! Of your list, the KoAloha is the most "Hawaiian" of that group, even though the ones you are looking at are made in their factory in Thailand. They are a terrific company, with the best warranty in the business. They also happen to be very nice people. Also, if you are in a shop, and you play ukuleles back to back, many times people choose the KoAloha, because something about how they make them, or their unique uni-brace, gives them a very full and deep sound that projects very loudly. Some people may think it is a bit much, but most people prefer it.

Any of the instruments on your list can play the type of music you indicated. For example, here is Jason Arimoto who plays a bit more of the genre that you referenced, on a KoAloha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DgnjsTtmcM

On this forum, I would say people prefer KoAloha and Pono. People like Ohana also, but they have so many different models and styles, they sort of cater to everyone's individual tastes. I might email or call Mim's. She's super helpful and if you talk to her, she might be able to do make some recommendations for you.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Good luck!

Wow! thank you everyone for responding! I appreciate all the reply!!

Yeah I understand the concept. But it so impersonal to get a gift card and I want to surprise her. She currently has a cheap ukulele right now and I would like to get her something nice.

Yes, gift cards don’t do it for me either but on the other hand I have many items cluttering up my cupboards that were bought for me as gifts but don’t match my needs. One thing you could do is get a Uke box, put a cut-out of a Uke within it and tape the gift card or voucher to it. It’s a sensible way forward but you’ll have your various thoughts to balance. The size of the gift you propose is a very positive statement but buying the wrong thing will say some negative things about how much in tune you are with your friend - sorry to say that I’ve learned such things the hard way.

Most Uke players play on a particular size of Uke, you need to get hold of some of the Uke’s that she plays and identify the size by either measuring their overall length or taking photos of the labels within their sound holes (the label usually has the model details as well as the makers details on it). Tenor and Concert sizes typically have 14 frets to the neck and Sopranos have 12 frets to the neck. Overall lengths are typically 26, 24 and 21 inches for Tenor, Concert and Soprano Ukes respectively; if still in doubt then the Concert size is the safest bet (IMHO). I don’t play Tenor ‘cause my fingers aren’t long enough for that larger scale, Concert works for me and it is a popular choice, I prefer Soprano but some folk find the scale and/instrument too small. In terms of quality your purchase will target the next step-up or two on her current instrument. If you could post some photos of your friend’s Uke here then it would likely be quickly identified by some reader. Who does your friend play Uke with and what can they tell you about the instrument that she currently plays? Do you have names for the songs and tunes that she plays? Do you have names for any Ukes players that she listens too? All those details will help someone guide you towards a reasonable purchase that’s more likely to be right for your friend.

The budget that you have is way more than is needed to buy a nice instrument. Use one of the recommended suppliers and don’t look at Amazon’s bargain prices ‘cause they will lead you to a poor purchase - maybe a good price but on the wrong item for her. If I lived in the US then I’d call both Uke Republic and Mim’s Ukes to speak with them about my friend and what they had to offer you as a suitable instrument plus other ways in which they might be able to help you. Pick something as mainstream as is possible and don’t get any fancy features - keeping it simple typically works best. Don’t get hung up on the brand or make of Uke, at this price point and from those dealers you’ll be getting something good regardless of the name on the headstock.

I don’t use hard cases for my instruments but do use gig bags. None of my instruments would cost more than $150 to replace so an expensive hard case isn’t warranted. If someone was spending up to $600 on a Uke for me then I think that part of that budget would be well spent on a reasonable case and humidifier to go in it.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ask your friend a few casual questions about her ukulele playing so that you can confirm whether she indeed plays tenor, and if she likes that size. Then go to the HMS website and click on their holiday specials. They have a variety of nice ukuleles on sale in all sizes. Many of the ones on sale are Pono deluxe models that include a hard case. Pono is a well respected brand, and HMS will do an excellent set-up on the ukulele.

Yes, gift cards don’t do it for me either but on the other hand I have many items cluttering up my cupboards that were bought for me as gifts but don’t match my needs. One thing you could do is get a Uke box, put a cut-out of a Uke within it and tape the gift card or voucher to it. It’s a sensible way forward but you’ll have your various thoughts to balance. The size of the gift you propose is a very positive statement but buying the wrong thing will say some negative things about how much in tune you are with your friend - sorry to say that I’ve learned such things the hard way.

Most Uke players play on a particular size of Uke, you need to get hold of some of the Uke’s that she plays and identify the size by either measuring their overall length or taking photos of the labels within their sound holes (the label usually has the model details as well as the makers details on it). Tenor and Concert sizes typically have 14 frets to the neck and Sopranos have 12 frets to the neck. Overall lengths are typically 26, 24 and 21 inches for Tenor, Concert and Soprano Ukes respectively; if still in doubt then the Concert size is the safest bet (IMHO). I don’t play Tenor ‘cause my fingers aren’t long enough for that larger scale, Concert works for me and it is a popular choice, I prefer Soprano but some folk find the scale and/instrument too small. In terms of quality your purchase will target the next step-up or two on her current instrument. If you could post some photos of your friend’s Uke here then it would likely be quickly identified by some reader. Who does your friend play Uke with and what can they tell you about the instrument that she currently plays? Do you have names for the songs and tunes that she plays? Do you have names for any Ukes players that she listens too? All those details will help someone guide you towards a reasonable purchase that’s more likely to be right for your friend.

The budget that you have is way more than is needed to buy a nice instrument. Use one of the recommended suppliers and don’t look at Amazon’s bargain prices ‘cause they will lead you to a poor purchase - maybe a good price but on the wrong item for her. If I lived in the US then I’d call both Uke Republic and Mim’s Ukes to speak with them about my friend and what they had to offer you as a suitable instrument plus other ways in which they might be able to help you. Pick something as mainstream as is possible and don’t get any fancy features - keeping it simple typically works best. Don’t get hung up on the brand or make of Uke, at this price point and from those dealers you’ll be getting something good regardless of the name on the headstock.

I don’t use hard cases for my instruments but do use gig bags. None of my instruments would cost more than $150 to replace so an expensive hard case isn’t warranted. If someone was spending up to $600 on a Uke for me then I think that part of that budget would be well spent on a reasonable case and humidifier to go in it.

Good luck.

I love the idea of the cutout with gift card attached!

Ukes tend to be very personal, and if your friend hasn't experienced a really good one, if you're set on buying one, I'd go with a Martin. Just be sure you know what scale she plays (soprano/standard, concert, or tenor). They tend to be set up perfectly out of the box (meaning, the ukulele will play in tune, the frets won't be rough, the strings will be high-quality, and the like). If you want to do the surprise with the uke-size cutout, My favorite uke vendor is MIM, but I hear great things about HMS (The Ukulele Site) and Uke Republic. They offer different brands, but anyone should be very helpful. They can also suggest nice accessories, such as tuners, bags/cases, etc.

What a great friend you are!

HMS just added some KoAloha Opio ukes today. Tenor with KoAloha deluxe gig bag for $655.

HMS just added some KoAloha Opio ukes today. Tenor with KoAloha deluxe gig bag for $655.

Inded good to see they have more stock, including two Acacia Series concerts with special discounts. As for the Opio Series, they also have the new spruce topped models which I did not care for when I was at the factory due to their plain looks, but they "made me" play one and yeah ... I was impressed by the punch this little thing packed.

I agree that it is pretty though to pick a uke for someone else, but on the other hand, it's sooo romantic and much, much nicer to get a real instrument, especially one that will clearly be on a much higher level. I'll bet your friend will REALLY appreciate the sheer thought, let alone an instrument of such a calibre. So I'd encourage you to go for it. 500-600 Dollars will buy a REALLY nice instrument that is way above others, so I'd let aside all the Kalas and Ohanas that are mostly known for entry level and get a brand that spells value:

- KoAloha (including their imported Opio line) if you want to be close to the Hawaiian origins of the instrument
- Pono as a brand well known for value, and also closely linked to a Hawaiian company
- Martin for guitarists and the like who know and appreciate the brand name
- Or how about Romero Creations for something slightly different, but associated to a well-known luthier (Pepe Romero) and a very famous uke player (Daniel Ho)? IMO, the best value in your price range right now is the all solid "Replica" model at Uke Republic.

Do not buy from Amazon; instread order from Hawaii Music Supply (The Ukulele Site), Uke Republic, or Mim. Your friend will appreciate this origin just as much as the uke itself, as it will show once again how very thoughtful you are. These stores are specialized on ukulele and will prepare each instrument for optimal playabilty.

Let us know how this all turns out, such a wonderful idea. Congratulations on being such a great friend!

I forgot to answer your question about Martin Ukes. Yes, they have a good reputation and would be a perfectly reasonable choice.

yeah. I hear nothing but good things with Martin, even though they don't manufacture everything in the US. you think the uke models they offer are good for folk?

also, whats your opinion on Theukulelesite.com as a seller? they seem to have good pricing on their products.

So...totally understand the caution flag everyone is flying, BUT:

I say go for it!! There is nothing like a wonderful surprise from a friend!

I’d go for something consistent like Pono or KoAloha Opio from a good retailer like HMS, MIM, or UkeRepublic!

heard of the ukulelesite.com? any sites that offers good deals?

The Ukulele Site is the best store by far and extremely popular among UU members (see my comment above). Great selection, setup and quality control. Plus free shipping on orders over 400 Dollars.

yeah. I hear nothing but good things with Martin, even though they don't manufacture everything in the US. you think the uke models they offer are good for folk?

also, whats your opinion on Theukulelesite.com as a seller? they seem to have good pricing on their products.

When you say good for "folk" are you talking about being good for folk music or good for people? Either way, the answer is yes. My impression of Martins (keep in mind that I haven't actually played one) is that they sound and feel great, but look kind of boring.

The ukulele site is the web presence of HMS, which we were all talking about above. It's got an impeccable reputation.

Top Bottom