Getting to know your new ukulele(s)

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

How do people get to "know" their new acquisitions? Just wondering if you play it exclusively or have a different system? What about if you've got more than one new acquisition on the go???

Just wondering what everyone else does :)

Play that thing for 14 hours straight is what I do!

Lol on a serious not, I play it exclusively, mostly because I'm so excited about it.

I’ve had my newest uke for a little over a month. I’ve been playing it exclusively since I got it. 25% to get accustomed to it, and 75% because I really really like it.
Sometimes I feel like I’m neglecting my other ukes, but I do go through phases where I’m grooving with one particular uke a little more. Depends on what music I’m playing.

Last edited:
I do tend to play the new uke more than the others partly out of excitement and partly in order to bond with the feel and sound of the new instrument.

I have specific musical contexts for each instrument so they all tend to get played regularly according to where and with whom I am playing.

But, yeah, who can put down a new uke once it finally lands in your trembling hands and on your calloused fingers?!

I will generally tweak a new uke so it gets pretty much my full attention. Usually the first step is to set up the string height and then different strings. On more rare occasions I have swapped out the nut. I’ll try different tunings (C, Bb, B) to improve tone especially with some notes on the C string that can sometimes thud. All this takes time based on how much I tweaking I need to do. The object is to maximize the tone and playability. I then play it pretty exclusively for a while except for making comparisons with other ukes.

John

I go through all the songs in my playlists and get a feel how they are going to sound on the new uke.

Top Bottom