PDA

View Full Version : Clearance from bridge to straight edge on frets?

ChuckBarnett
12-16-2018, 05:01 PM
Making some last-minute checks here before I get into the French polish and all of that. Not planning to fasten the bridge on until after I have French polished this tenor ukulele. I laid a straight edge across the frets over the bridge and I have a little over 1 mm clearance. Is that ball park? Obviously the strings will be higher as they will be off the frets but I don't know what to look for. Thanks for your wisdom!

saltytri
12-16-2018, 05:21 PM
Lay a 1/8" drill bit across the fretboard at the 14th fret. Lay a straightedge spanning from the first fret to the bit and extending to the saddle. The straightedge should rest on the top of the saddle, as well as the other two points. This will give you a good place to start in setting the height of the action. You can lower the saddle to lower the height of the strings. This is measured at the 12th fret, where the distance from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string should just high enough so the the string doesn't buzz. A reasonable target is about .090" or thereabouts assuming your frets are level and that the strings at the correct height above the first fret.

For detailed info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6aUaG9W5H0