My uke won't stay in tune, is it because I need new strings?

devino93

Reaction score
I just got a lanikai concert uke yesterday, and I have attempted tuning it by ear. I succeeded in tuning it, but when I went to play it, it kept becoming out of tune. Is this because I need new strings, or just a digital tuner?....:eek:

New strings, it'll go out of tune almost instantly for a while. Just keep tuning and stretching the strings, just have to break them in.

thanks. what's the best choice for strings and a tuner?

I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that he didn't mean that you need new strings, but that the reason you're having tuning problems is because the ukulele has new strings.

New strings are like new leather shoes. It takes a bit of use before they "break in" and get nice and comfy.

Now if, after awhile, you're still having tuning issues, it might be a problem with the way the uke is set-up. But cross that bridge when and if you get to it.

JJ

P.S. I'm a fan of the Planet Wave clip-on tuner. But just about any clip-on, digital tuner should do the trick.

I realise I have this problem with my new uke too. There is this buzzing sound when i play it..

New strings need to set so it'll take a few times of retuning before they settke down. Also make sure the screw in your tuning pegs are tight enough or they will slip.

The nylon strings stretch when they are new. Sometimes (most times) a new string won't make it through 1/2 a song before going out of tune. A little tip, when the strings are new and you put it away for the night, or awhile tune it sharp, G# C# F A#. It will help stretch them out.

It took about 5 days for my Aquila's to stretch out on both my Soprano & Concert.

It took my aquilas about 2 weeks to settle and a little more than 3 weeks for my Worth Browns...

Give it some time.. it will eventually settle and stay in tune.

just jam on it for a couple of hours after putting on the new strings. And Jam hard on it too.

New strings for me typically are broken by the end of the next day. Either I play too much or I'm strumming tooooooo hard (unlikely). But no, I change my strings about... once a few months (2-5 months).

If it's still going out of tune, I'd check the tuners. :uhoh:

just jam on it for a couple of hours after putting on the new strings. And Jam hard on it too.

New strings for me typically are broken by the end of the next day. Either I play too much or I'm strumming tooooooo hard (unlikely). But no, I change my strings about... once a few months (2-5 months).

If it's still going out of tune, I'd check the tuners. :uhoh:
Yes play it hard, Bend the notes and stuff, it will get the stretch out.

I got the D'Addario Pro Arte on my Kala tenor to stretch in only 2 days... Took the same strings to stretch 3 days on my soprano.

how would u know if the strings are stretched out?? .. I have been playing mine for about a week now and there is still this buzzing sound when i play my uke

Sorry for the hijack....but I see colored strings on ukes every once in awhile....does anyone know what brands these may be....they look cool

Top Bottom