NUD Koaloha Opio

olphart

Reaction score
I've had my Opio for about a week now and it reminds my of my first new car.
It was a 1970 Datsun 510 sedan, which after my 66 MGB, and 1959 Sprite, was visually a bit of a let down. It was red and kinda perky looking, but had rubber mats and a radio but was definitely anything but sporty. I needed a sedan though because my first kid was on the way. Why did I buy it? Well mainly because the salesman, (an ex rally driver), scared the crap out of me.... in a good way. He showed me how well the little beast performed. Once he demonstrated the acceleration and handling, I couldn't wait to get behind the wheel. As ordinary as it looked, it was a serious performer in stock form. I had a ball driving it. I believe they still race them on the circuits today.

Okay, okay, enough about cars. My Opio is nothing to look at, no bling at all, and a headstock shape that for me is just wrong.
So why buy it? Well it performs, darn it! It feels good and the tone is sweet. I enjoy playing it far more than either of the two high end Ponos I've owned, and it cost about half as much. It has the stock Koaloha strings in low G that feel great and put out the sweet jazz chords I've been working on like nothing I've tried so far.
It looks like I've got a keeper

Congratulations on a great instrument. I had an Opio concert and it was a wonderful instrument, I owned the top line KCM-00 at the same time and the Opio easily went toe to toe with it. I came to the conclusion I prefer tenor size or I would still own it. One of my high school buddies owned a Datsun 510, great car. For you younger generation Dastun is now Nissan.

I've had my Opio for about a week now and it reminds my of my first new car.
It was a 1970 Datsun 510 sedan, which after my 66 MGB, and 1959 Sprite, was visually a bit of a let down. It was red and kinda perky looking, but had rubber mats and a radio but was definitely anything but sporty. I needed a sedan though because my first kid was on the way. Why did I buy it? Well mainly because the salesman, (an ex rally driver), scared the crap out of me.... in a good way. He showed me how well the little beast performed. Once he demonstrated the acceleration and handling, I couldn't wait to get behind the wheel. As ordinary as it looked, it was a serious performer in stock form. I had a ball driving it. I believe they still race them on the circuits today.

Okay, okay, enough about cars. My Opio is nothing to look at, no bling at all, and a headstock shape that for me is just wrong.
So why buy it? Well it performs, darn it! It feels good and the tone is sweet. I enjoy playing it far more than either of the two high end Ponos I've owned, and it cost about half as much. It has the stock Koaloha strings in low G that feel great and put out the sweet jazz chords I've been working on like nothing I've tried so far.
It looks like I've got a keeper

I have an Opio spruce-top soprano. Beautiful in looks and sound. Yes, the Opio definitely performs.

Speaking of cars, I had a '62 MG Midget, the follow-up to the '59 Sprite. I never did get to a full-size MG, but I did have a TC and a TD.

I have an Opio spruce-top soprano. Beautiful in looks and sound. Yes, the Opio definitely performs.

Speaking of cars, I had a '62 MG Midget, the follow-up to the '59 Sprite. I never did get to a full-size MG, but I did have a TC and a TD.

The TC and TD were true sports cars. My favourite of that line was the TF with its frenched in headlights

Top Bottom