Trying to date my Martin S1

AustinHing

Reaction score
Dear UU folks, I have the fortunate opportunity to own a Martin S1 last week. So far, it’s hard to put it down. Haha..

As much as I’m intrigued with its tone and playability, I’m also interested to find out more on its birth year. The serial of mine is 3451 which I supposed is an earlier model since its first release in mid 2011 (I gathered).

I couldn’t find any source that can directly show the dating of the Martin Ukuleles (Mexico made, not the vintage). Hence, I’m posting this if anyone can provide some information on it or point me to some links.

So far, this is what I have noticed after comparing the many Google images.

Mine:
Serial: 3451
Fretboard and Bridge: either rosewood or Morado (I’m leaning on rosewood)
Tuner: no Grover label on the pegs
String Orientation: G and A string are stringed on the “wrong” side

I’m suspecting mine to be in 2012-2013 period.

The newer serial number has hit the 17,xxx already. again, google info.
The newer fretboard and bridge is Sipo.
The new tuner has Grover label on the pegs.
The strings for G and A are stringed in the correct direction (for serial in 17,xxx).

Greatly appreciated if anyone can provided some more clues. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
I tried to get info on my Martin SO from CFMartin and the word from them was that they do not keep track of serial numbers and there was no way to put a date to the uke from the serial number . Doesnt make sense to me , why have a serial number if you dont do anything with it? You could check with Martin customer service but you will most likely get the
answer I got.

I tried to get info on my Martin SO from CFMartin and the word from them was that they do not keep track of serial numbers and there was no way to put a date to the uke from the serial number . Doesnt make sense to me , why have a serial number if you dont do anything with it? You could check with Martin customer service but you will most likely get the
answer I got.

Thanks for your answer, Pete! I guess the serial is mainly for warranty purposes and would likely be a dead end for me too. Hence, I’m trying to draw conclusions based on the other Mexico Martin uke owners information such as serial and other details like the label on the tuners etc.

Sounds like your uke is strung for a left handed player if the G and A are on the "wrong" side. If it has a serial number it is a newer one.

I’ve seen some uke’s I would like to have tried to date, but I’m married, so all I can do is look:)

I’ve seen some uke’s I would like to have tried to date, but I’m married, so all I can do is look:)

Hahahahahahaha!! Good one!!

Oh, also, Patrick, I think that "wrong side" reference is to the fact that the G and A strings are placed upon their respective tuning posts "from the outside" rather than "from the inside", perhaps on the theory that doing so keeps them in a little straighter line as they run toward their post...?

Austin, I got an S-1 in January of 2016, from Musician's Friend. It was new, but I guess it's hard to know how long it had been in their inventory before I purchased it. But if it's of any help, the serial number is 12925.

answer I got.

Well, they could learn a thing or two from Ken Timms, with fields for day, month & year, then they could have a four digit field for which number it was coming off the line that day :D

Dang! As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I raced to be the first to put up a reply similar to the one above. I was REALLY bummed to see that I was too late, but good one, bukeh! :)

Sounds like your uke is strung for a left handed player if the G and A are on the "wrong" side. If it has a serial number it is a newer one.

Sorry for the confusion~ can't think of a better description. haha.. I meant the string is strung from the outside of the peg instead of the typical way.

Nice one! I'm married too, but wife is tolerable of my new love as long as I don't do it in front of her. But.. I do get caught now and then!

Hahahahahahaha!! Good one!!

Oh, also, Patrick, I think that "wrong side" reference is to the fact that the G and A strings are placed upon their respective tuning posts "from the outside" rather than "from the inside", perhaps on the theory that doing so keeps them in a little straighter line as they run toward their post...?

You are absolutely right on the explanation. I couldn't have describe better.

Austin, I got an S1 in January of 2016, from Musician's Friend. It was new, but I guess it's hard to know how long it had been in their inventory before I purchased it. But if it's of any help, the serial number is 12925.

That'd be very helpful! Thanks for the information! Is it possible for you to check if you got the booklet for the care and feeding manual which came with your uke? There is a printed date at the back of the booklet.

For mine, the booklet is wayyy old back to year 2011. And on my booklet's title page, it claimed there is C1 and T1 uke besides the S1! Guessed they abolished the plan and went with the C1K and T1K instead.

Martin Guitar Company probably has a lot of records about the instruments. They probably don't want to have to compete with the collector and used market, which is why they don't give out a lot of information to collectors. They want to sell you a new instrument.
Information is money in the world of collecting, sensible sellers do not give it away for free. They know it will affect their own business if they do.
There will be collectors who know the serial numbers, first you need to find them, then you need to work out what you are going to swap to access the information. I doubt they will broadcast the information on a public bulletin board.

That is likely the case. Hence, I'm trying to google the heck out of it! Who knows what's going to happen to the value of modern Martin ukes 50 years from now? I saw the Mortal Engine movie and in that movie, the regular $20 toaster is a relic to be kept in a museum.

Thanks for all the responses! I have been googling images from sales or reviews of the modern Martin ukes from Mexico. I'm primarily looking out for serial number, any change in the wood, tuners and even better if there is a indication of the manufacture year. So this is what I have gathered so far..

The ukes from the Mexican factory has some form of serial tagging while the modern U.S. ukes (Style 3 Contennial (100 pieces), Cherry (only 36 pieces!), Style 2 and 5k, except for the IZ tenor) are not serial tagged at all, or lumped together with guitars. Pretty weird and confusing.. but please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The ukes from Mexico are, in chronological order of first release year:
1997: Backpacker Uke
1997-98: S-0 Uke
2010: 0XK Uke
2011: S-1 Uke
2012: C1K, T1K
2016: OX Uke (colour variations)
2017: Style 1 Centennial (100 pieces)

Source for above:
http://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/martin-ukuleles-history

(To be continued..)

That'd be very helpful! Thanks for the information! Is it possible for you to check if you got the booklet for the care and feeding manual which came with your uke? There is a printed date at the back of the booklet.

For mine, the booklet is wayyy old back to year 2011. And on my booklet's title page, it claimed there is C1 and T1 uke besides the S1! Guessed they abolished the plan and went with the C1K and T1K instead.

So, with an early serial #, I'd say yours is a 2011...

I was talking to someone that works at the martin Mexico factory, she also said there should be a date stamped on the booklet that came with the uke, but was unable to give any info on the serial numbers

Austin, I'm afraid I've long since misplaced my "care and feeding" booklet, so unfortunately I can't be of much help on that. In my own case, I don't think my S-1 will ever be of much value to anyone but me, as I have committed that most unthinkable offense of replacing the original friction tuners with a set of black-buttoned geared Grovers. To be sure, the original friction tuners were just fine, but I just really like being able to quickly and confidently tweak that tuning, and I find that I'm better able to do that with the geared tuners. And honestly, I think they actually look pretty decent...
IMG_20181219_091652.jpgIMG_20181219_091709.jpg
P.S. Sorry to veer off-topic here!

Last edited:
Top Bottom