Help: Need to identify this Ukulele

The label inside looks like it has a Kala emblem. I would also guess it is a tenor. Maybe a travel tenor, but the fretboard dots are too big.

Is there some reason why you're trying to figure out what uke is in the picture?

yes sir! I have another tread about purchasing a uke for a friend.

The label inside looks like it has a Kala emblem. I would also guess it is a tenor. Maybe a travel tenor, but the fretboard dots are too big.

Is there some reason why you're trying to figure out what uke is in the picture?

Yes sir! im trying to buy one for a friend.

I actually started another thread.

Hi HelloChips. I don't know about that particular uke, but others have noted that it's either a Kala or a Kala Elite. This is an important distinction because if it is a standard Kala, it means that the new uke you will be getting her will be an upgrade. However, it it is a Kala Elite, the new uke will actually be a downgrade. In the other thread, we all advised you to stick with her preferred size, but if you aren't getting her something better, I would change that advice. If the uke you are getting is not as good, make sure you are getting her something different.

Sorry for the low res pic. this is the best I can find

I’d have said that it was a help and that someone will be able to give you fairly accurate prompt as to what it is quite likely to be. If you have then handy then any other pictures that you have might add additional details.

Personally I don’t see the Kala Elite link made clear to me, well not when I visited their website and do comparisons. But I can see that it looks a lot like one of these Kalas : https://www.amazon.com/Kala-Special-KA-SPMT-TRI-Tri-Back-Ukulele/dp/B07B6F2SZK

Others might add more or correct me but the distinguishing features that I note are:

# The headstock is topped by twin scollops.
# The headstock is a light wood.
# The headstock is of the standard design with side geared tuners and is not slotted.
# There is a logo central between the tuning heads, maybe diamond shaped.
# Position markers are on the 5th, 7th, 10th and 12th frets only (and nothing below or above them)
# Position markers are always three dots in a row.
# There are 18 frets in total and the fret board has a square end that terminates above the sound hole’s decorative ring.
# The top is a light coloured wood (possibly spruce) and that is important for the Uke’s characteristic sound.
# The sound hole has a single dark wide solid ring around it.
# The Bridge is a straight sided oblaong time bar design with flats either side of the central area / saddle mounting.
# The strings are white and therefore likely to be Aquila’s, they might have been the standard strings fitted to the Ukulele when new.

It looks like a Tenor sized Uke to me, as best I can judge.

Last edited:
It is so tough to tell from the picture. When the Kala Elites came out in 2015 I believe they were only offered in koa. Since then they have offered other tone woods in their Elite custom line. You would probably have a good idea if your friend would be in a position to spend over $1000 for a ukulele... and if she did would she tell you. That is what the Kala Elite spruce or maple tenor ukuleles would cost. And if she has mentioned wanting to get a nicer ukulele, then I would think it is not a Kala Elite, or you need to save up a whole lot more... lol. Personally my wild guess is a little older Kala or just some import.

John

Last edited:
Looks like a Kala, from the body shape, and maybe a Kala Elite, based on those wide, elongated fretboard position markers. Most Kalas just have round dots there instead.

Hi HelloChips. I don't know about that particular uke, but others have noted that it's either a Kala or a Kala Elite. This is an important distinction because if it is a standard Kala, it means that the new uke you will be getting her will be an upgrade. However, it it is a Kala Elite, the new uke will actually be a downgrade. In the other thread, we all advised you to stick with her preferred size, but if you aren't getting her something better, I would change that advice. If the uke you are getting is not as good, make sure you are getting her something different.

I’d have said that it was a help and that someone will be able to give you fairly accurate prompt as to what it is quite likely to be. If you have then handy then any other pictures that you have might add additional details.

Personally I don’t see the Kala Elite link made clear to me, well not when I visited their website and do comparisons.

Others might add more or correct me but the distinguishing features that I note are:

# The headstock is topped by twin scollops.
# The headstock is a light wood.
# The headstock is of the standard design with side geared tuners and is not slotted.
# There is a logo central between the tuning heads, maybe diamond shaped.
# Position markers are on the 5th, 7th, 10th and 12th frets only (and nothing below or above them)
# Position markers are always three dots in a row.
# There are 18 frets in total and the fret board has a square end that terminates above the sound hole’s decorative ring.
# The top is a light coloured wood (possibly spruce) and that is important for the Uke’s characteristic sound.
# The sound hole has a single dark wide solid ring around it.
# The Bridge is a straight sided oblaong time bar design with flats either side of the central area / saddle mounting.
# The strings are white and therefore likely to be Aquila’s, they might have been the standard strings fitted to the Ukulele when new.

It looks like a Tenor sized Uke to me, as best I can judge.

Hello everyone! it is a KALA according to one of my sources. and yes it is a tenor. we don't know the particular model but it sounds like she paid 400+( less than 500) bucks for it.

Well done Mingus! Nice looking uke, actually.

Yes, well done. This place is incredible. :) .

I suppose that the question now (for the other thread) is what’s the logical next step up and is it within budget.

Last edited:
I have a Kala solid cedar top, acacia koa body, slot head, padauk red binding, cutaway with preamp that runs about $370 and in my opinion compares favorably to $1000 K brands. So I would think Kala should be right up there at $400.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

If the uke that your friend now owns is indeed the one in the link that mingus provided, then it appears to be a pretty decent ukulele. Solid spruce top with laminate back & sides. You mentioned in your other thread that you wanted to get her a much better ukulele from the one she has......one that would be a big step up. However, the price range you mentioned was $500 - $600. If the one she has cost $400, and if it sounds as nice as that video on the HMS website, then you may have to up your price range a little bit if you really want to knock her socks off.

I have a Kala solid cedar top, acacia koa body, slot head, padauk red binding, cutaway with preamp that runs about $370 and in my opinion compares favorably to $1000 K brands. So I would think Kala should be right up there at $400.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

how does her model compare to other ukes in the Koaloha line up?

If the uke that your friend now owns is indeed the one in the link that mingus provided, then it appears to be a pretty decent ukulele. Solid spruce top with laminate back & sides. You mentioned in your other thread that you wanted to get her a much better ukulele from the one she has......one that would be a big step up. However, the price range you mentioned was $500 - $600. If the one she has cost $400, and if it sounds as nice as that video on the HMS website, then you may have to up your price range a little bit if you really want to knock her socks off.

but it seems like with ukes. a hunder bucks gets your a higher tier? what do you think? im probably gonna drop 700-800

Top Bottom