PDA

View Full Version : New Member/Non-Electric Cutaway Tenor

spaceuke2
12-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Hello All, new member here! Just wondering why itís been so difficult to find a non-electric (no pick up) cutaway tenor under $400. Iíve found only 2 so far. Is there a reason other than perhaps not being a popular combo? Thanks for helping!

Jerryc41
12-21-2018, 07:20 AM
Hello All, new member here! Just wondering why it’s been so difficult to find a non-electric (no pick up) cutaway tenor under $400. I’ve found only 2 so far. Is there a reason other than perhaps not being a popular combo? Thanks for helping!

Welcome to our forum!

My Bonanza Oreo is tenor, cutaway, and non-pickup. It cost $389.

jimavery
12-21-2018, 08:40 AM
I was surprised when you said that, but now you mention it there
s only one sub-£400 non-electric cutaway tenor listed at Southern Ukulele Store

https://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/snail-sr-04t-tenor-ukulele-solid-acacia-bevelled-edge-and-cutaway/

I guess it's because cutaway just looks more electric so there's not so much demand for it without.

p.s. Welcome to the forum!

kohanmike
12-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Check eBay for tenor ukulele cutaway. Bruce Wei Arts makes them, I have a number of his ukes with which I'm very happy.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Gildo
12-22-2018, 02:21 AM
if you ever played guitar, may find one model typical have two versions: no cutway+no pickup; cutway+pickup (see the models of taylor guitar)

Wescanfly
12-22-2018, 03:09 AM
One of the most beautiful best sounding ukuleles I own is a cutaway Midland tenor. Solid mahogany at $279.50. https://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=61&categoryId=3

Here is a review I posted on both the Uke and Mainland Uke where I purchased it. A little lengthy and I had the MiSi pickup installed but that’s your choice. I hope this helps.
https://youtu.be/2ZX8-t932K8

spaceuke2
12-22-2018, 01:30 PM
Thank you all for the welcome, and the great recommendations! The Bonanza’s are new to me and seem worth a real look and listen. I’ve looked into the Bruce Wei ukes, but haven’t heard the best things about them. I am leaning heavily toward a mainland mahogany cutaway slotted headstock tenor w/o rope binding. When I make my decision I’ll let y’all know. Thanks again!!

spaceuke2
12-22-2018, 01:33 PM
Thank you all for the welcome, and the great recommendations! The Bonanzaís are new to me and seem worth a real look and listen. Iíve looked into the Bruce Wei ukes, but havenít heard the best things about them. I am leaning heavily toward a mainland mahogany cutaway slotted headstock tenor w/o rope binding. When I make my decision Iíll let yíall know. Thanks again!!

spaceuke2
12-22-2018, 01:41 PM
Hi There, I saw your video and it was a big reason for me going the mainland direction. Well done, thanks!

spaceuke2
12-22-2018, 01:47 PM
That was meant for wescanfly. Still getting the hang of things here :)

Wescanfly
12-22-2018, 02:06 PM
Thanks spaceuke2, I hope if you go with the Mainland you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. Wes

kohanmike
12-22-2018, 03:44 PM
Thank you all for the welcome, and the great recommendations! The Bonanza’s are new to me and seem worth a real look and listen. I’ve looked into the Bruce Wei ukes, but haven’t heard the best things about them. I am leaning heavily toward a mainland mahogany cutaway slotted headstock tenor w/o rope binding. When I make my decision I’ll let y’all know. Thanks again!!
I guess I'm always ready to defend Bruce Wei ukes since I've had such good experiences with his ukes. The bad reviews are from a few years ago when he sold other builders ukes on his eBay store, but stopped that when people thought those ukes were his builds.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

spaceuke2
12-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Good to know kohanmike, thanks for the update. Perhaps I’ll consider those Bruce Wei ukes after all.