Goldilocks Straps

Now you have me intrigued. Google isn't showing anything to me so I'm inclined to think he's not talking about an actual brand. But then he says it twice. Huh. If you watch some of his videos it looks like he usually has about a 1" wide leather strap which is relatively easy to find, but I'm not finding the name "goldilocks" anywhere.

In my reading of the article, I thought that goldilocks wasn't a brand name, but rather Paul's way of saying that it is necessary to find the strap that is just right as Goldilocks found the perfect porridge in the fairy tale

Maybe not too big and not too small.

Now you have me intrigued. Google isn't showing anything to me so I'm inclined to think he's not talking about an actual brand. But then he says it twice. Huh. If you watch some of his videos it looks like he usually has about a 1" wide leather strap which is relatively easy to find, but I'm not finding the name "goldilocks" anywhere.

Yeah, I wondered about that, too - a brand or a generic term? He capitalizes the word, and he says he recommends it.

Goldilocks appears to be a popular adjective in NYC.
This is one definition:
adjective. ( usually initial capital letter ) not being extreme or not varying drastically between extremes, especially between hot and cold: a Goldilocks economy that is neither overheated nor too cold to cause a recession; a goldilocks planet such as Earth. See also Goldilocks zone.

I can see a children's fairy tale developing here. :)

Have any of you ever heard of Goldilocks uke/guitar straps? In the current issue of Ukulele magazine, Paul Hemmings recommends them.

http://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/u...254745857&mc_cid=86732db704&mc_eid=85856b6a68

To quote what was said: “Most ukulele straps I find are too thin, and if you try to use a guitar strap, it’s usually too bulky. I’ve got the Goldilocks ukulele strap because it’s just right. I set the strap so that the instrument is in the same position, regardless of whether I’m sitting or standing—I usually practice sitting down—and I recommend Goldilocks straps to students for the same reason.”

My belief is that Goldilocks isn’t a brand (yet) but rather the name of a Girl in a Fable. ‘Goldilocks’ in this case should be taken as ‘just right’, a strap that is neither too wide (bulky) or too narrow (slim).

Last edited:
To quote what was said: “Most ukulele straps I find are too thin, and if you try to use a guitar strap, it’s usually too bulky. I’ve got the Goldilocks ukulele strap because it’s just right. I set the strap so that the instrument is in the same position, regardless of whether I’m sitting or standing—I usually practice sitting down—and I recommend Goldilocks straps to students for the same reason.”

My believe is that Goldilocks isn’t a brand (yet) but rather the name of a Girl in a Fable. ‘Goldilocks’ in this case should be taken as ‘just right’, a strap that is neither too wide (bulky) or too narrow (slim).

Could be, but the way it's worded, it sounds like a brand.

The only straps I have are the UkeLeash, with button straps on each side. I don't use them on all of my instruments - only the Donaldson, and the two newer Ohanas - because they all have pickups, and all have buttons on the neck.

I have both Cordura and leather UkeLeashes. Lori makes a great product.

I've never like the J-Hooks, even if Willie Nelson and Jake do like them, and that thing that figure-eights around the uke... don't even like the look of it, but mazel tov to those who do.

I know one guy with a National Resophonic uke who just tied a shoelace around the body, and loops it over his neck. it works for him, and since he makes his living as a musician, then that works for me. But I play my National while sitting, and support the uke on my leg.

-Kurt​

My favorite strap is a Levy leather mandolin strap. It’s wider than the uke leash, but not as wide as a guitar strap.

I was curious, too. So I asked him.

He'll be on the next episode of my podcast. We had a great conversation about jazz, arrangements, and other stuff.

Be sure to check it out if you'd like to hear straight from him the story of that strap. :)

I thought it was used like the astronomers use the "Goldilocks Zone" for habitable planets.

I'll have to wait for Abe's podcast to know for sure... :confused:

I cut my straps from a half hide of soft full grain brown leather I have.

My " Goldilocks" strap is 42-43" with two holes about 2.5" apart at the butt end and it's about 1.5 - 1.75" wide. Thinner than that the strap digs into my shoulder. Thicker and the edge digs into my neck.

I don't stitch any liner onto the straps, just leave the hair side and flesh sides of the single piece of leather as they are. When I want to be able to slide the uke into different positions, the strap's smooth side ( hair side) goes on the inside against my clothing. When I want it to stay in place, the "suede side" ( flesh side) goes on the inside.

I typically fit my ukes with ebony end pins and strap buttons ... but with a few of them I haven't yet been able to bring myself to take a drill to them. My vintage Martin, for example, will never get drilled by me... and I'm very reluctant with my Kiwaya concert and tenor ukes as well.

IMG_20190317_090308_hdr.jpg

Last edited:
��sorry to tease and use this as self-promotion. I figure it’s best to hear straight from him. In short: it’s not a brand.

I just recorded the interview yesterday. The episode should be up within a week here:
https://radiopublic.com/abes-ukulele-podcast-WRV1vx

If you have a podcast app on your phone you can subscribe to get notified immediately when it’s out.

��sorry to tease and use this as self-promotion. I figure it’s best to hear straight from him. In short: it’s not a brand.

I just recorded the interview yesterday. The episode should be up within a week here:
https://radiopublic.com/abes-ukulele-podcast-WRV1vx

If you have a podcast app on your phone you can subscribe to get notified immediately when it’s out.

Thanks. I'll look for an app.

I bet you're going to run a workshop or two at a uke fest in PA this spring. It's either the Allegheny Ukulele Soiree or Funky Frets - maybe the NJ Uke Fest. I'm signed up for your workshops, wherever they are - provided you're the right Abe.

Top Bottom