What comes the Martin S1/S2/S3 the closest?

Mr. B

Reaction score
What comes the Martin S1/S2/S3 the closest in looks and sound?
So it can be laminate, but the looks and the sound shall be veeery close.
I mean cheaper imitates.
Which one can you think of?
I heard about the Famous FS-1, Sigma SUM-2S and the Ohana SK-39 (on this one I know that the nut is just a 34mm), do you think that they are alike?

What comes the Martin S1/S2/S3 the closest in looks and sound?
So it can be laminate, but the looks and the sound shall be veeery close.
I mean cheaper imitates.
Which one can you think of?
I heard about the Famous FS-1, Sigma SUM-2S and the Ohana SK-39 (on this one I know that the nut is just a 34mm), do you think that they are alike?

I don’t know the answer to your question but perhaps I know something that might be more valuable to you.

(Edit. I read the question but what’s the objective behind it, what will you use the information for?)

I have one solid wood Soprano - very nice it is too - and a couple of laminates, my favourite laminate Uke plays and sound the best of all my Ukes. The main reasons it plays and sounds so good are superior design and diligent set-up work plus string selection. So, if you want a brilliant sounding Uke that costs little but challenges more expensive Ukes then learn about set-up and string selection. Your Uke might not look like an S1, etc., but really the similarity has no value, those that can tell the difference in looks are (instead) interested in your sound and most folk in the street don’t know one Uke from another. Of course it doesn’t matter what type of fancy Martin (or similar looking Uke) someone has if they can’t play well, and learning to play well takes time and effort.

I hope that my perspective helps. Once set up well the Islander Soprano that you have on order could sound great, in time and with practice I don’t doubt that it will be a joy to hear.

Last edited:
I would recommend the Famous/Kiwaya brand. I owned a Famous long neck soprano once. The workmanship & sound was excellent. I actually ordered it from Amazon, but it came directly from Japan. It was well set up. I sold it because I didn't like the neck profile/shape. It was too flat for my taste. Otherwise, a great instrument. I kept my Islander soprano because it's equally nice & more comfortable for me to play.

Kiwaya Artist series. I have a Kts 4 which is a copy of vintage Martin S1. From my understanding it has exact specs as vintage Martin.

Tom

I have a Wunderkammer Ike soprano which fits the bill.

I haven't seen a modern ukulele with the thin, very, very thin wood my Ike has and these old Martins have. That's where the sound comes from. Modern stuff is over built. I guess to last and fend off warranty claims. Strange as there are 100 year old Martins faring well for the most part!

I guess its go old Martin, custom, Timms or go home. :)

Top Bottom