PDA

View Full Version : Different solid woods used by Sailor/ Loprinz ukuleles?

CYN
12-25-2018, 02:39 AM
Just had an all solid cherry custom uke made by Sailor ukulele and absolutely love it! Was wondering if anyone else has a Sailor made uke with different solid woods and what the sound was like. Wondering about different unique woods they offer.

RafterGirl
12-25-2018, 03:04 AM
I had a custom Loprinzi that was cedar & rosewood. At the time I ordered it, they offered maple, cherry, Koa, mahogany, and something called Bishop which they said was similar to maple.

rubykey
12-26-2018, 08:29 PM
I have a Loprinzi maple concert. It's very easy to play and the tone is clear and crisp. Excellent note separation.

CommonCurt
12-26-2018, 09:30 PM
Having a custom Loprinzi concert made right now.
In addition to the woods RafterGirl mentioned I know they can offer Walnut as well as Redwood soundboards.
I would just write and ask Donna. I'm pretty sure she can get most if not all of the "in" woods seen on todays customs.

RafterGirl
12-27-2018, 03:09 AM
I may be wrong on this, but I believe that Sailor Brand is a "house" brand made for Uke Republic by Loprinzi. You may have to communicate via Mike at Uke Republic on a Sailor uke build. You can communicate directly with Donna at Loprinzi. The Loprinzi website has their contact info. Donna was very easy to communicate with via email when I had my uke built. When I had mine built, they offered something called Bishop that I had never heard of before, so I know they can source some unusual woods from time to time.

Jim Hanks
12-27-2018, 03:17 AM
RafterGirl is correct but Mike is easy to deal with and fairly quick with correspondence. I've come close to ordering a custom SB twice. Don't discount the "solid poplar with veneer" offerings. There is nothing wrong with poplar as a tonewood. Some builders (one in particular) use it without veneer, but SB chooses to fancy it up.

CommonCurt
12-27-2018, 05:29 PM
I may be wrong on this, but I believe that Sailor Brand is a "house" brand made for Uke Republic by Loprinzi. You may have to communicate via Mike at Uke Republic on a Sailor uke build. You can communicate directly with Donna at Loprinzi. The Loprinzi website has their contact info. Donna was very easy to communicate with via email when I had my uke built. When I had mine built, they offered something called Bishop that I had never heard of before, so I know they can source some unusual woods from time to time.

You're exactly right. I should have clarified to contact Donna about Loprinzi's and Uke Republic for SB.