Different solid woods used by Sailor/ Loprinz ukuleles?

CYN

Reaction score
Just had an all solid cherry custom uke made by Sailor ukulele and absolutely love it! Was wondering if anyone else has a Sailor made uke with different solid woods and what the sound was like. Wondering about different unique woods they offer.

I had a custom Loprinzi that was cedar & rosewood. At the time I ordered it, they offered maple, cherry, Koa, mahogany, and something called Bishop which they said was similar to maple.

I have a Loprinzi maple concert. It's very easy to play and the tone is clear and crisp. Excellent note separation.

Having a custom Loprinzi concert made right now.
In addition to the woods RafterGirl mentioned I know they can offer Walnut as well as Redwood soundboards.
I would just write and ask Donna. I'm pretty sure she can get most if not all of the "in" woods seen on todays customs.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe that Sailor Brand is a "house" brand made for Uke Republic by Loprinzi. You may have to communicate via Mike at Uke Republic on a Sailor uke build. You can communicate directly with Donna at Loprinzi. The Loprinzi website has their contact info. Donna was very easy to communicate with via email when I had my uke built. When I had mine built, they offered something called Bishop that I had never heard of before, so I know they can source some unusual woods from time to time.

RafterGirl is correct but Mike is easy to deal with and fairly quick with correspondence. I've come close to ordering a custom SB twice. Don't discount the "solid poplar with veneer" offerings. There is nothing wrong with poplar as a tonewood. Some builders (one in particular) use it without veneer, but SB chooses to fancy it up.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe that Sailor Brand is a "house" brand made for Uke Republic by Loprinzi. You may have to communicate via Mike at Uke Republic on a Sailor uke build. You can communicate directly with Donna at Loprinzi. The Loprinzi website has their contact info. Donna was very easy to communicate with via email when I had my uke built. When I had mine built, they offered something called Bishop that I had never heard of before, so I know they can source some unusual woods from time to time.

You're exactly right. I should have clarified to contact Donna about Loprinzi's and Uke Republic for SB.

Top Bottom