Changing from Low G to High G

RafterGirl

Reaction score
What kind of experience have people had when changing from a Low G to a High G on a Blackbird uke? I know they are usually set up for a wound low G, so the nut slot would be deeper. Would switching to a High G cause any issues with buzzing or intonation?
Thanks

My suggestion is just try it and see if it works. Worst case is you may need to fill the nut slot a bit.

You should be able to switch back and forth without an issue. I have A Farallon and change between low G and high G without a problem.

I think it's a misconception that the nut slot for a low G string would be deeper than for a high G. The bottom of the slot should be rounded, so that even if you did swap a low G for a much thinner high G string, it would still have the same clearance over the first fret. And while I've not swapped the G string on my Blackbird Farallon from the low G it came with, I can see that the nut slot is indeed rounded at the bottom. So all should be good.

However, if the slot is cut with a V shaped file, then using a more narrow string would allow it to drop in the slot, possibly leading to buzzing. Which is why you should NEVER use a triangle file on nut slots.

...so the nut slot would be deeper...

Nut slot might be wider if it came with a low-G.

But if it is deeper, then it was cut wrong as others have said above.

I actually visited Blackbird two weeks ago specifically to try a Clara with high G. They switched a low G to a high G on the spot and there were no issues with buzzing though I did not specifically look at the nut cut. They say that low or high G will work on the Clara.

Thanks for all the replies UU. I figured you guys & gals would know the answer.

Top Bottom